What made you go with an SUV over a Truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AH64Medic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 5'9'', hauling materials and tools in a lifted truck got old. Since I now have a trailer and can fit a 4x8' sheet of plywood in the suburban, its a no brainer. And to haul 8 people and gear is a plus.

TheWhiteDevil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a slammed OBS ec/rb so when looking for a work/family hauler the truck became a toy and the tahoe became a necessity. I can say the truck being a manual was great for years.. I have recently enjoyed the lazy feel of the automatic again...

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever tried getting laid in the back of a pickup? :)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever tried getting laid in the back of a pickup? :)

You mean that area known as the BED? I utilized the bed of my S10 countless times. Unless I remove the third row and flip up the second row seats, the Tahoe would actually be a more difficult location.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I got a deal of a lifetime on mine. Always had trucks my whole life. I can't wait till I'm ready to sell this and buy a truck again. Suv is not for me.:sorry:

cain

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was actually looking for a bigger truck to replace my Ranger. Ended up buying my Tahoe from my cousin. Now I have a hard time going back to a truck. For work I load it up with gear and not worry about rain or theft, on riding trips a full size air Matress fits perfect in the back, does everything I need the truck to do, and has all the amenities.

The only two issues I have are trips to Lowes/Menards sometimes requires a trailer and on hunting trips there will be no dead animals in the back unless it's meat in the cooler.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my first SUV when I was 21. Had an old-school '84 S-10 Blazer with the anemic 2.8 v6 with a 4-speed. But I loved it! Lasted me 7 years till I blew the engine. Cranked the keys and ran 30's on it, added a body lift and ran 32's.

2nd was a '88 S-10 Blazer with the 4.3 v6. Loved that more! Had that for 5 years, till it caught fire (amplifier overheated and started the carpet on fire). 3" Body lift and keys cranked, had 265/75/16's on Corvette wheels.

3rd was a '94 4-door S-10 Blazer, bought it for my wife, took it over after the '88 went ****! Drove it stock (blech!), for about 6 months, needed something bigger.

4th was an OOBS '90 Suburban. Straight-up land yacht, all 6300 lbs of it. Cavernous inside, beefed up the rear end and carried 45 sheets of 1/2" sheetrock to a job without bottoming out. Entire back of the body rusted away, couldn't close the doors. No lift in the front (2wd), still ran 32's.

5th was a '96 4-door Tahoe. Used it and abused it, came back for more. Blew the original engine with 212K on it, got a GM crate engine and drove it another 54K before the body just fell apart completely. Cranked the keys, ran 285/75/16's.

6th was my '01 Suburban, totaled 16 days ago when t-***** at an intersection. Keys, Z71 springs, spacers, judicious use of a sawzall, 33's fine, 35's rubbed.

7th is my new-to-me-three-days-ago '04 Yukon XL. Coming soon, either keys/springs/spacers/BL or 6" NTD suspension lift, plan on clearing 35's.

Have thought about buying a truck a few times, but keep coming back to SUV's. Primary reason is I'm a contractor, and I have tools. I like to take care of my tools, and don't want them tossed in the back of an open pickup. I like to be able to close everything up, and lock it up. Why not a pickup with a cap? Because it's a ***** to climb up into the bed of a truck and get something from the very front - with the Suburbans and the Yukon XL, I can carry a full sheet of plywood, sheetrock or entry doors, close the back, and open the side door to reach in and grab something.

2nd reason is the safety factor. You are more easily seen, and can see better over snowbanks and shrubs. SUV's handle better than trucks, much more even weight distribution. And as testament to safety, what kind of shape would I be in had I been hit two weeks ago in a 3000lb shitbox of a car, as opposed to my 6000lb lifted SUV? I walked away with nothing more than a stiff back.

My wife has an '04 Expedition (yeah, I know.... Ford... but I got it for $1900!), and I've put a 3" lift on that and 33's. She's more comfortable in a larger vehicle, just for the reasons I listed above. There's enough room in the back of both our vehicles for our mutant children (son is 6'2 and 325lbs at 14yrs old, daughter is almost 5'11 at 13 yrs old) to stretch out and not battle each other for space.

And my fun toy is an '00 Wrangler TJ on 33's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali