What is it with these F*KNG valve covers and fill tubes!!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
never had any issues with it.
i dont use the tube anymore but im thinking mine had 2 tabs and the oil fill cap only had one tab, thus i couldnt put it directly into the valve cover.

So you just use the Holley cap? Do you have a part # for it?

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure @NoReverseYukon says it does, I have not tried it. I will have to remove the cover again to try it for myself. if it does and feels secure I will just use the cap and **** the filler neck. Or JB weld like others here mentioned.

I deleted my filler neck because it would twist out of it's mount when I was attempting to remove the cap. This was my solution. It is the stock cap and it locks in like it's supposed to.IMG_20210201_141708388.jpg IMG_20210201_141726207_HDR.jpg

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking at this pic:

IMG_3065.JPG

you have a single tab, the oem oil fill cap should just go in

my valve cover has 2 tabs, so i needed the holley cap

OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I deleted my filler neck because it would twist out of it's mount when I was attempting to remove the cap. This was my solution. It is the stock cap and it locks in like it's supposed to.View attachment 269446 View attachment 269447

looking at this pic:

View attachment 269451

you have a single tab, the oem oil fill cap should just go in

my valve cover has 2 tabs, so i needed the holley cap

I am going to try this next. If it doesn’t work JB weld it will be. Thanks all. I will keep you updated. Weather here is ****** for the next week or two. Don’t know when I’ll be able to try it.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to try this next. If it doesn’t work JB weld it will be. Thanks all. I will keep you updated. Weather here is ****** for the next week or two. Don’t know when I’ll be able to try it.
If it makes you feel any better, I went out and was going to pull the full neck off my 2013 to see what it looked like and discovered that the oil fill cap was missing. Not sure what the hell happened there. Fortunately I had a spare in my tool box, but for the life of me, I have no idea where the other one went. I am usually pretty **** about buttoning stuff up and putting the cap back on after watching my brother-in-law sent the hood on his 1990 mustang GT because he left the fill cap on top of the engine and slammed the hood closed. BTW, I couldn’t get the neck to come off easily so I didn’t want to break anything with it being cold so I didn’t get any pictures to compare to yours.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hang in there bud. Our daughter is in Boston, they are getting dumped on as well.

Here in Boise, weird winter. We hiked 7 miles today up on the trails, 48F!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird. The one on my 08 Silverado 4.8 just locks into place. Maybe buy a valve cover for a different engine.

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I remember seeing elsewhere that the factory cap fits the valve cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, I couldn’t get the neck to come off easily so I didn’t want to break anything with it being cold so I didn’t get any pictures to compare to yours.

There is a locking tang built into the filler neck base. I would not force it either and risk a piece of it falling into the head. Better to find the time to take the cover off and try to unlock the tab with a pick tool. Even then it can be tough. I have read some posts of some Houdini's able to pick it loose from above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
autom8ted