What is it with these F*KNG valve covers and fill tubes!!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to fix this shit for 3 years now and I'm getting pissed off!!! :mad:

Why is this such a conglomeration to figure out???? When I bought the truck the fill tube was half hanging out past the o-ring and leaking oil and I am sure sucking dirt in. I temporarily siliconed it shut until I ordered a new one. That's the new one in with the home made oil plug in it because my factory locking plug would not fit right and lock into it. Definitely a cheap *************.

And same thing, it twist locked into teh valve cover correctly but would STILL tilt open past the o-ring. So I silicone that one as well!!! And had to deal with that POS home made oil cap which every time you pop off it goes flying out of your hands into the unknown of the chassis because the wing nut is so small to grab onto with my big hands.

I asked here a million times about it. @Just Fishing posted a part number for me to try The OEM tight fitting Oil Filler Tube PN: 609729947. I ordered a used one because that is all you can find with that part number. Received it, looked great as you can see in the pics, nice hefty locking cap. I was so excited to install it! Did so in the bitter cold last night but I was pumped to finally have this fixed!!!

Went through all this and it would not lock into place correctly!! Would only clock in and lock pointing downwards!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Here are some of the beginning pics:

IMG_3058.JPG IMG_3059.JPG IMG_3060.JPG IMG_3061.JPG IMG_3062.JPG

OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the old one out, cleaned up the valve cover real nice to install the new one, noted the locking tab cast into the valve cover hole. It is in the 6 o'clock position. Even the new one would fit, it would absolutely not clock into an upright position, only pointing down towards the fkng fender. And even locked into that position, it would ALSO still tilt out of the hole past the damn o-ring just like the old *************!!!

IMG_3063.JPG IMG_3064.JPG IMG_3065.JPG IMG_3066.JPG IMG_3067.JPG

OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took a comparison pic of the two fill tubes and locking slots, also a pic of the casting number of the valve cover. You can see the new fill tube has 2 locking slots and the older one just has one. Neither of those slots would clock it into the right position, and only one of the slots would actually lock against the casting tab, in an upside down position.

IMG_3068.JPG IMG_3069.JPG IMG_3070.JPG

OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there an aftermarket cover I can install to bypass all this ridiculous ********???? Ready to weld a custom aluminum tube on this ******* thing.

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine, too , wouldn't seat correctly. I just did away with the whole damned thing. Surprise surprise but that cap also fits directly into the valve cover ! At least it did on my 2001.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at Rock Auto's OE valve cover, it looks just like yours (with regard to where the locking tab position is), on the same page their fill tube (they don't list an OE, just Dorman and another), the tab and locking position looks just like yours (which does seem wrong to get the orientation vertical). I did notice there are different valve covers for some other GM vehicles with the same engine, where the locking tab is in another spot in the neck. Maybe your fill necks are for another valve cover for another vehicle. I could see a screw up where whoever coded the fill neck into a 2007 5.3L, used a number that went with a different install, that had a valve cover where the locking tab is clocked in a different spot. Just some wild ass guess.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you take the oe supplied number from the Dorman one, the fill tube number is 12574386 and then type that in at the top of the page for a parts search, it comes up. strange but true.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=12574386

For some dumbass reason it describes it as a transmission filler tube, but of course it is wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
513Tahoe