Is a Black Bear Tune worth it with a completely stock engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be a premium upper and lower option. Might be called sabre now.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 5.3 Tahoe 2WD as my daily driver

I am considering getting a Black Bear Tune for my truck, the engine is completely stock. I do have a Range AFM disabler installed.

I was first considering the Scan Cable tune cause it was relatively cheap, but I wouldn’t want to be without my ECM. Then I looked at the AutoCal but the price is steep but what’s getting me is that it’s all email based and I can reuse it.

Is one recommended over the other? I love the price tag of the Scan Cable tune, but I love the convenience of the AutoCal and would I notice a big difference in drivability even though I have a stock engine?

I am also stuck debating wether I want to get a Black Bear Tune or an AR as my birthday gift hahah
I'll add my voice to those saying a Blackbear tune is worth it on a stock vehicle. My '07 is bone stock and it woke it up.

TheStir

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On my 4th tune with BB. Awesome to work with.

Just got a ‘07 Escalade about a month ago and did the basics, cleaned TB and MAF, wires, plugs, air filter the first weekend. Ordered a license and tune the day we got it and flashed last Saturday without telling the wife.

She drove it to work Monday and when she got home she asked me what I did to her car, it drove much smoother.

Basically just optimizes what the factory left on the table with a cut and paste EPA tune.

Used to have to jet, play with timing and distributor weights, and shift kits now you just flash away.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tune is the foundation upon which all other mods build upon. It's also your best bang for the buck performance wise.

While I don't have before and after numbers, my 2009 Yukon XLs engine was rated for 310 horsepower SAE Net. With the tune, it has made a maximum of 318 rear wheel horsepower through the traps in the quarter mile. The BlackBear tune was intentionally made mild since my wife and children also drive the truck. Favorite part of the tune is in how the transmission performs.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't already have an AR, get an AR. You can get a basic AR from PSA for well under $500. And then buy some ammo and take a class or two.

I've had a Blackbear tune on my Suburban for over 10 years. I believe it's also extended the life of my transmission because I had them tune out a lot of Torque Management. 247k miles, and the transmission still shifts perfectly.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Just saw an episode on the PowerNation channel where they added a 500hp 5.7, 6L80 and the AWD system from a NNBS / 07-14 Denali/Esky to a C10 pick up. Beautiful job and used all OEM parts with one custom machined spline adapter on the xfer case

After it was taken out to be ripped up in a field, the front CV joint did not like the 500hp on lap 2. A good wake up call for limitations of the OEM front AWD CV joints and motor mods.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
If you don't already have an AR, get an AR. You can get a basic AR from PSA for well under $500. And then buy some ammo and take a class or two.

I kept thinking what kinda tune is AR. What’d I miss going from BB tune to AR and finally noticed, Ammo. We used to joke around like that on another forum and later found out a lurker who would pm us weird questions about our equipment was a bat ship crazy parolee.

Poor SOB had no idea we were all retired DOD and AF living on same street. All our kids all played together. Long story short … the lurker & his buddy planned and were later apprehended for home invasion because the lurker believed our sarcastic comments online (similar to yours) would lead him them to a trove.

We’re extra careful not to discuss “the fight club” online with anybody who isn’t already in it. You’ve really got to respect other folks apprehensions now unless you’re kin or grew up with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts