07 escalade oil pan relief valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am gathering parts to replace my front diff on my escalade. Will also replace the gasket on the oil pan and take advantage of the O-RING for the pick up. Question I have is, my escalade has the dod/afm parts from the factory but were never turned on from factory which is great of course. Ive been reading about this oil relief valve which I will replace once I have the pan off but also, theres this deflector which can increase oil pressure?

I understand that the valve is there for the DOD/AFM system but being that its not active on my escalade, can I get away with useing the deflector or will this cause an issue? Lets have in mind, I have the DOD/AFM mechanics installed on my engine. Just not activated.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the deflector is to keep the oil that sprays out of it when the high pressure is reached from spraying stright up onto the cyl wall of the piston above it. that was causing more oil than the rings could handle and getting some in the chamber to burn.

since the hardware is there, I'd just put a fresh bypass valve in there with a deflector on it. they don't usually fail, but if it did, it would be a internal oil leak and cause low pressure. so cheap insurance while you're there. you can also plug it, but I'm not sure about that with your hardware still present. my worry would be high pressure spikes that couldn't be released make it to the old vlom solenoids and make it past to the lifters and release them. since they have never been used there's basically a 100% chance it would stick down if that happened.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am gathering parts to replace my front diff on my escalade. Will also replace the gasket on the oil pan and take advantage of the O-RING for the pick up. Question I have is, my escalade has the dod/afm parts from the factory but were never turned on from factory which is great of course. Ive been reading about this oil relief valve which I will replace once I have the pan off but also, theres this deflector which can increase oil pressure?

I understand that the valve is there for the DOD/AFM system but being that its not active on my escalade, can I get away with useing the deflector or will this cause an issue? Lets have in mind, I have the DOD/AFM mechanics installed on my engine. Just not activated.
Replace it with a plug or install a GM# 12639759 afm deflector shield on it. Here's pics of mine before and after the shield:
relief valve wo shiel.JPG
relief valve w shield.JPG

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wao great info guys. Thank you all so much. Just ordered the new valve and the deflector

Thanks

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I used a $4 replacement oil plug with an aluminum crush washer and red Loctite. The Gen 3 engines don't have this and they do just fine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you have a smooth valley cover and not the VLOM with the solenoids and all the oil circuits cast into it. So, pressure spikes, while not likely in the first place, are handled by the bypass valve in the oil pump. The Gen 3 engines didn't move oil through towers or a VLOM or a relief valve in the oil pan. So, I plugged the pan and towers and installed a regular valley cover to be like a Gen 3.

My shizz: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/post-1427085

Plug I used: https://www.autozone.com/external-e...jovBwCDVkbpBILDhqYSzP4yRaAE4-HhxJ8maXM8_ORSRU

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a $4 replacement oil plug with an aluminum crush washer and red Loctite. The Gen 3 engines don't have this and they do just fine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you have a smooth valley cover and not the VLOM with the solenoids and all the oil circuits cast into it. So, pressure spikes, while not likely in the first place, are handled by the bypass valve in the oil pump. The Gen 3 engines didn't move oil through towers or a VLOM or a relief valve in the oil pan. So, I plugged the pan and towers and installed a regular valley cover to be like a Gen 3.

My shizz: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/post-1427085

Plug I used: https://www.autozone.com/external-e...jovBwCDVkbpBILDhqYSzP4yRaAE4-HhxJ8maXM8_ORSRU
I have the maze valley cover on mine. All the mechanics for the dod/afm are present in my escalade but not active.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
You’ve got one of the very early 07 with dormant AFM. There were only a handful of those motors that snuck out of the factory in that L92 block.

The funny thing is the owners that were most concerned about having AFM back then never even had it. It was just some rare feature to speculate about on the forums.

Glad to see you’re taking a preemptive stand on the mechanicals being in there. Looking forward to how it does in the years to come now that someone knows they have the real deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019