Pickup tube question on 2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charles Hughes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have the common dreaded low oil pressure. I replaced the pickup tube ring and still have low oil pressure so I'm about to tackle the oil pump.

Does the pickup tube mount directly to the oil pump?
Asking because I would like to see and feel the fitment again of that O ring. I have seen many o ring replacements that are red in color and napa gave me an O ring that was black and I'm questioning it because it didn't feel that tight to me. Can I see the O ring when I'm replacing the oil pump?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have the common dreaded low oil pressure. I replaced the pickup tube ring and still have low oil pressure so I'm about to tackle the oil pump.

Asking because I would like to see and feel the fitment again of that O ring. I have seen many o ring replacements that are red in color and napa gave me an O ring that was black and I'm questioning it because it didn't feel that tight to me. Can I see the O ring when I'm replacing the oil pump?
Yes, it mounts directly to the pump. And the red one is the one for trucks, the black one is usually for cars. Different thicknesses. Melling also makes one for the trucks that’s green in color.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

On my 07 6.2 I installed Felpro 72401 5+ yrs and 65k miles ago as preventative mx.

OP
OP
C

Charles Hughes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you know if the oil pump connects directly to the pickup tube in the oil pan?

OP
OP
C

Charles Hughes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, it mounts directly to the pump. And the red one is the one for trucks, the black one is usually for cars. Different thicknesses. Melling also makes one for the trucks that’s green in color.
I'm wondering if I was given the wrong one. I will verify thickness this weekend. Might as well do the gaskets under the plenum and such as well. This is why I like LS Engines, for the most part aren't that bad to fix

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see the dimensional differences between the O-rings; if we had all three part numbers we could look them up and post a chart.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I was given the wrong one. I will verify thickness this weekend. Might as well do the gaskets under the plenum and such as well. This is why I like LS Engines, for the most part aren't that bad to fix
Here is a picture showing where the pickup tube mounts to the pump, along with the 2 different-sized o-rings.

1710348973509.png

OP
OP
C

Charles Hughes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for that picture. When I pull the oil pump I will take a similar picture and take my micrometer and do measurements. Because if napa gave me the wrong one makes me wonder how many others are fighting this

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red (GM):
Thickness: 4.20mm (0.165")
ID: 20.69mm (0.815")

Green (Melling)
Thickness: 4.20mm (0.165")
ID: 20.69mm (0.815")

Black (GM or Melling)
Thickness = 3.55mm (0.140″)
ID = 23.60mm (0.930″)

The thicker red or green O-ring is used on a pick-up tube that has a recess in it for a captured O-ring seal. The black O-ring would be used on a more traditional style pick-up tube.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't know that if even came in our trucks but just for info on sizes. I got a blue one from the dealership got my ls3 car. I don't even know if it would fit because it's so thick, but I think it's this one.. the 100k plus mile blue one that came out was perfect too. still nice and rubbery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan