what does a capacitor do for you

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
and this is typical consumers that don't know......you'll have a short lived system with settings like this.

had it running like this since april. dude when the settings are at like half, theres like no bass. If it blows I bought replacement warranties.

titanium02

w7's or bust.
Reaction score
and this is typical consumers that don't know......you'll have a short lived system with settings like this.

+1

I run my system at about 50-80% of it's capability.. Most of the time my subs are sleeping.. they don't even know they're on :)

Thermal damage is what kills most amps. Run em hot for too long and all the electronics will fade and eventually fail.

I used to have 2 Candence Triplex 12's and a Amedeaus 1000, pushed them to the max and the whole system took a dump after 3 months. Waste of $1000

Finally stepped my game up to JL and never looked back. I've ran the w3, w6, and now a pair of w7's. You really get what you pay for.. and I'll NEVER blow these subs. If the amp ever goes, ship it back to JL with $200 and get it back good as new :)

Back on subject, it's very important to keep the system adequately powered. Although expensive to get a HD Alt. and a big deep-cycle car audio batt., it's cheaper in the long run. Not fun to blow the alt. and get stranded all because you were listening to your music.

<3 JL Audio.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
had it running like this since april. dude when the settings are at like half, theres like no bass. If it blows I bought replacement warranties.

if the setting at half, which is still an improper way to gauge proper settings, means you need a bigger amp, not max out gains,bass boost,etc to achieve what you desire. 5 months, bet there's damage already.

titanium02

w7's or bust.
Reaction score
if the setting at half, which is still an improper way to gauge proper settings, means you need a bigger amp, not max out gains,bass boost,etc to achieve what you desire. 5 months, bet there's damage already.

Yep. 1000 watts on a w7 is a lot of bass. I'd say it's either your alpine amp, or you're deaf my friend.

Is your Alpine the PDX-1?

500 watts on a w6 is like 120db at least

Alpine should repair it if you send it in... just pay a flat repair fee and the shipping costs to the factory. Sucks to be without an amp for 2 weeks.. but looks like it needs to be done.

(It could be your head unit as well.. your alpine might be getting a crappy input)

Rollin Thunder

Reaction score
Yep. 1000 watts on a w7 is a lot of bass. I'd say it's either your alpine amp, or you're deaf my friend.

Is your Alpine the PDX-1?

500 watts on a w6 is like 120db at least

Alpine should repair it if you send it in... just pay a flat repair fee and the shipping costs to the factory. Sucks to be without an amp for 2 weeks.. but looks like it needs to be done.

(It could be your head unit as well.. your alpine might be getting a crappy input)

lol, IDK, its an apline cd-105 HU. But I just dont feel the bass any lower than 3/4 power on the amp. Speakers are like 1/4 their setting and they way over power the sub. I have 0 gauge wires for the sub to the battery and the big 3 upgrade.

looking online it says it can handle 1000 watts. So I figured I was ok in putting out that much power. Maybe it is the amp. IDK 1000w is alot I know. I could be def to though. Listening to powertools all day then loud music, then my loud engines. etc lol.

But when I first had the system installed it was great at half, then it seemed to get weaker so I juiced it up. Then it got weaker so I just maxed everything out, Then my Rockford sub blew so I put a JL w7 sub in, that thing made like 5000 million times better bass so I turned everything down again, Then the cycle started all over, It seems to get quieter so I juiced it back up, and so on.

Last edited:

titanium02

w7's or bust.
Reaction score
lol, IDK, its an apline cd-105 HU. But I just dont feel the bass any lower. Speakers are like 1/4 their setting and they way over power the sub. I have 0 gauge wires for the sub to the battery and the big 3 upgrade.

You're sub amp bro.. In your sig it says 1000 watt Alpine amp.. Alpine's 1000 watt is the PDX-1.. I ask this to make sure you dont have a 250 or 300 watt Alpine amp that says 1000 watts (peak power) on it.

Go to best buy, or similar store, and you'll see what I'm talking about. They claim 2000 watts!!! but they're like 200 RMS. They overrate the amps. They'll rate them at 1 ohm or even 1/2 ohm at 1 channel (or for a multi channel amp, they'll give you the bridged power rating.. and then divide it by the resistance.)

So.. if you start with 1000 watts at 4 ohms.. then they'll claim 4000 watts at 1 ohm (or start 1000 at 2 ohm, and rate at 2000 at 1/2 ohm)

The w7 is a 3 ohm speaker. The JL 1000/1 is a true 1000 watts over a range of 1.5-4 ohms. The PDX-1 is rated 1000 watts at 1 - 2 ohms. If this is the amp you have it's still PLENTY of power for the w7

Either you have a smaller Alpine amp, or your PDX-1 is broke :(

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Is this your amp?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pT6ihdqHUJL/p_500PDX1100/Alpine-PDX-1-1000.html

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Or is this the one...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRP1000/Alpine-MRP-M1000.html?tp=115

Rollin Thunder

Reaction score
You're sub amp bro.. In your sig it says 1000 watt Alpine amp.. Alpine's 1000 watt is the PDX-1.. I ask this to make sure you dont have a 250 or 300 watt Alpine amp that says 1000 watts (peak power) on it.

Go to best buy, or similar store, and you'll see what I'm talking about. They claim 2000 watts!!! but they're like 200 RMS. They overrate the amps. They'll rate them at 1 ohm or even 1/2 ohm at 1 channel (or for a multi channel amp, they'll give you the bridged power rating.. and then divide it by the resistance.)

So.. if you start with 1000 watts at 4 ohms.. then they'll claim 4000 watts at 1 ohm (or start 1000 at 2 ohm, and rate at 2000 at 1/2 ohm)

The w7 is a 3 ohm speaker. The JL 1000/1 is a true 1000 watts over a range of 1.5-4 ohms. The PDX-1 is rated 1000 watts at 1 - 2 ohms. If this is the amp you have it's still PLENTY of power for the w7

Either you have a smaller Alpine amp, or your PDX-1 is broke :(

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Is this your amp?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pT6ihdqHUJL/p_500PDX1100/Alpine-PDX-1-1000.html

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Or is this the one...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRP1000/Alpine-
MRP-M1000.html?tp=115

yea its the second one. IM going to upgrade I think. SOON!!!!

radio3.jpg

titanium02

w7's or bust.
Reaction score
Yeah you're starving your 12w7 bro. That amp is like half the power.. maybe less.. of the JL 1000/1

General rule of thumb.. you pay about 70 cents a watt. If a "1000 watt" amp is like 200-500 bucks.. well you do the math.