Just got a tahoe ppv. What do you recommend for shock absorbers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimgeorge

Reaction score
Right? Pics or GTFO!

Give us some base to your current wheel/tire combo. The majority of the 'harsh' ride from a PPV comes from the Goodyear RSAs that come from the factory. Lower profile and speed rating are what give the RSA's a bad ride, its push/shove for what the tire does. You could go with a taller profile and more of a mileage tire on the factory 17's, I went through 2 different brands/sizes before I went to 22's. I loved the ride on both.

265/70 Continental

255/65 Michelin

As for the shocks, you are going to get a variety of opinions, there probably isn't a wrong one. Personally, I don't mind a little bit of a stiff/sporty feel, so I went with a full Belltech suspension setup to actually lower the truck 2"/3". It replaced everything except the front springs. It still has a lot of road feedback in the feel/steering, feels like I could take a corner at speed without a lot of body roll, but overall its a huge difference in the ride over the factory/worn shocks. I've gotta be somewhere around 30k/40k miles on the Belltech now, and have zero regrets.
I lowered my 2011 2 and 2 with DMJ suspension parts. Then I replaced the back shocks with shorter DMJ shocks to compensate for the lowering. Ride is pretty harsh now especially on the back shocks. Did I do something wrong?

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lowered my 2011 2 and 2 with DMJ suspension parts. Then I replaced the back shocks with shorter DMJ shocks to compensate for the lowering. Ride is pretty harsh now especially on the back shocks. Did I do something wrong?
Think you answered that one yourself, with the shorter shocks. That is going to be exponentially a stiffer shock if it has shorter travel.

OP
OP
P

peterkay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I spoke with the local suspension performance job. I used them in the past for my other cars. They were familiar with the ride quality issues for the PPV and said that they have used Belltech shock and strut kit in the past to resolve them. They are booked for the next two weeks, so I have scheduled for the last week of way.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke with the local suspension performance job. I used them in the past for my other cars. They were familiar with the ride quality issues for the PPV and said that they have used Belltech shock and strut kit in the past to resolve them. They are booked for the next two weeks, so I have scheduled for the last week of way.
In my personal experience, the biggest culrprit up front are the PPV tires. The worn suspension surely didn't help either, but dropping those RSA's and speed rated tires in general......and going with a taller sidewall, made a massive difference. It actually makes the PPV much more enjoyable to drive.

I sacrificed that newly discovered plush ride when I moved to 22" wheels, since I would rather have the look and revert some of the ride quality. Of course there are taller 22" tires out there, but I am about at the threshold where I am at a happy medium. Others may drive mine and think it has too much feedback in the steering (wider tire), but even with these heavy 22" steel wheels I have, I've relearned how to drive it again and I am good. I might even step up the sidewall height on my next round of tires, who knows?

It's really all in what you want out of it. Get your suspension where you know the baseline should be (which seems to be which direction you are going), then you can use the tires to get closer to your goals (if you want plush and comfy, or still want to be able to turn hard, or just want a certain look with an all around tire). There will be sacrifices no matter! Just need to really have goal and stick with it.

OP
OP
P

peterkay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In my personal experience, the biggest culrprit up front are the PPV tires. The worn suspension surely didn't help either, but dropping those RSA's and speed rated tires in general......and going with a taller sidewall, made a massive difference. It actually makes the PPV much more enjoyable to drive.

I sacrificed that newly discovered plush ride when I moved to 22" wheels, since I would rather have the look and revert some of the ride quality. Of course there are taller 22" tires out there, but I am about at the threshold where I am at a happy medium. Others may drive mine and think it has too much feedback in the steering (wider tire), but even with these heavy 22" steel wheels I have, I've relearned how to drive it again and I am good. I might even step up the sidewall height on my next round of tires, who knows?

It's really all in what you want out of it. Get your suspension where you know the baseline should be (which seems to be which direction you are going), then you can use the tires to get closer to your goals (if you want plush and comfy, or still want to be able to turn hard, or just want a certain look with an all around tire). There will be sacrifices no matter! Just need to really have goal and stick with it.
Oh I see. I have nearly new Good years 265/60R17 all around. Do you reckon they may be the culprit of the harsh ride?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I see. I have nearly new GoodYear 265/60R17 all around.
Do you reckon they may be the culprit of the harsh ride?
Yes. Even the exact same GoodYear ... um, GoodYear, WHATs? ... in 265/70R17 would be less harsh.
But I'd go for either the Continental TerrainContact H/T for a great bang for the buck,
or the Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 if you want to pay more for a better reputation.

If tires with more sidewall don't mellow out your ride enough,
look into replacing springs and/or shocks with NOT-PPV versions for a civilian 2013 Tahoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CucamongaBoy52