What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OTTRATW makes nice stuff. Looks great.

Thanks! Yeah I'm really happy with the switch panel quality. One of the switch caps I had to order from Rocker Switch Pros and it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb. Not as nice as the OTTRATW switch caps.

brian.roberts.1293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay guys. Anyone know the difference between the bilstein 4600 and 5100?I am gonna have to replace my front shocks on my 04 z71 and wanted to get some good ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay guys. Anyone know the difference between the bilstein 4600 and 5100?I am gonna have to replace my front shocks on my 04 z71 and wanted to get some good ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Yep.

I have 4600s on my cadillac and 5100s/5125s on my jeep.

There are a few 5100's available for these trucks. I think you have an option for 0-2" in the front which would work well with a cranked or stock height front end.

Valving is different. 5100s are digressive. 4600s are linear.

Certainly the nice zinc coating is a bonus with the 5100's

https://www.bilsteincanada.com/blog/2017/11/motorsports-the-science-behind-the-valve-stack/

https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/digressive-vs-linear-vs-progressive-pistons-shock-valving/

Digressive-Linear-Progressive-Damping-Curve-Comparison.jpg

The main difference between the Bilstein Heavy Duty vs Bilstein 5100s is that the Heavy Duty or 4600 series is designed for stock height trucks and the 5100 Series is built for lifted trucks. The other major difference between the Heavy Duty and 5100 is that the Bilstein 5100 Series shocks have a zinc coating with a brushed metal shock body and a black boot while the Heavy Duty uses a painted yellow body with a blue dust boot.

The Similarities: The 5100 series and the Heavy Duty shocks use the same technology internally. Both use the same internal valving and at stock height will ride the same (shocks for lifted trucks may use different valving settings in order to accommodate the extra weight of larger tires). Both shocks are pressurized with 360 psi of nitrogen to prevent shock fade and foaming of the shock oil. The outer construction of both shocks is identical as well with an extruded metal body rather for maximum strength and top of the line seals. The 5100 series and Heavy Duty 4600 series are both covered under Bilstein's limited lifetime warranty that protects against any manufacturer defects for the life of the shock.

For stock height trucks, the Bilstein Heavy Duty yellow and blue shocks are the most popular choice, because they typically cost a few dollars less than the 5100 shocks and provide excellent performance for towing, light offroading or normal driving. Many customers do prefer the 5100 Series even on stock trucks because the shortest 5100s are typically built for 0 to 2 inches of suspension lift, meaning they can run the 5100 on their stock height truck but leave the option open for a lift later on down the road.

Last edited:

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really liking how these minor mods are holding up

Trucool 40k, melling m295hv w/ the high pressure spring, manual Efan override switch.

86f out.

Freeway and stoplight

View attachment 228012 View attachment 228013

Gotta get those idle volts up. Maybe an alt OD pulley is in order.

That Trucool 40k and melling oil pump... Jealous

For the trans cooler did you bypass your radiator? or are you running in line like the oem setup?

I am running this cooler:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9TRWG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which should be fairly close in performance to the 40k theoretically, but i still get trans temps in the 190* range (without towing or hooning) with the rad bypassed. I have it oriented with the in/out lines down just like the OEM setup. M

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo