What do you think I could get parting out 1999 OBS Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74Monte

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Mechanics Special. I have a 1999 GMC Yukon SLT 2 wheel drive. Started getting antifreeze in oil. Would like to get $3500.​

Best offer takes it. Must sell ASAP.
Very strong Engine, runs really well.
Did not drive it far. Started getting hot, about half way on gauge. Pulled over ASAP. Has not been driven since. I have seen many causes, Head gasket, Intake gasket, Oil cooler in radiator, etc. I do not have the money to repair, was thinking of parting out.
Let me know what you think.

Copy of my ad on Craigslist-
99 Yukon SLT.
2 wheel drive
228817 miles.
Just started getting antifreeze in oil.
5.7 vortec engine.
Still runs and drives.
Trans good.
Front and rear AC.
Upgraded Glass Headlights etc.
4 high mod - all 4 headlights come on when switched to bright.
New Cap, Rotor, and Wires three month ago.
New Tires six months ago.
Tire wear on front right.
Mechanic says no worn suspension components, alignment specs dead on.
Rebuilt AC Compressor around 1 year ago - still around 2 years on warranty.
Rebuilt alternator - O'Reilly lifetime warranty.
CD player still works.
Everything else works, Windows, Mirrors, Heat, AC etc.
Paint on roof just starting fade.
Would like to keep her out of the scrapyard.
By the way this is located near McKinney Texas. if anyone is interested.IMG_20240202_154945.jpgIMG_20240202_154921.pngIMG_20240202_154845.jpgIMG_20240201_234350.pngIMG_20240202_155214.jpg

Last edited:

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's hard to say. If the truck is in good condition otherwise, come up with a reasonable price and post it as a mechanic's special. I'm sure you would find a buyer willing to repair it. I've seen trucks like that sell. $2500-$3500? IDK. Maybe post a picture?

If you part it out, you will eventually get to the point where the frame, possibly the cab and whatever doesn't sell will still need to be sent to the crusher. The demand for frames and cabs is just not there, here locally.

Good luck.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parting it out
is another way of saying
gonna have to deal with LOTS & LOTS of people over a VERY LONG TIME
as I take this apart piece by piece over a very long time.

Even if it takes a year to sell the whole thing to the one person that wants it, that seems easier.

OP
OP

74Monte

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's hard to say. If the truck is in good condition otherwise, come up with a reasonable price and post it as a mechanic's special. I'm sure you would find a buyer willing to repair it. I've seen trucks like that sell. $2500-$3500? IDK. Maybe post a picture?

If you part it out, you will eventually get to the point where the frame, possibly the cab and whatever doesn't sell will still need to be sent to the crusher. The demand for frames and cabs is just not there, here locally.

Good

Good luck.
strutaeng
Where can i post it as Mechanics special?
I do not have enough posts to list in for sale section.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let’s see some pics of that ‘74 Monte too while you’re at it.
Welcome from NY.
Finding and fixing that antifreeze in the oil issue may not be as problematic as you think.
Why not fix it?

OP
OP

74Monte

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Let’s see some pics of that ‘74 Monte too while you’re at it.
Welcome from NY.
Finding and fixing that antifreeze in the oil issue may not be as problematic as you think.
Why not fix it?
74 Monte has been sold.
Do not have a clue where to begin finding cause of antifreeze in oil.
Good with other mechanical things but not something like this.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
An inspection of the oil on the dipstick and under the fill cap, is a place to start. Look like just oil or milky. Compression test of all 8 cylinders. Remove all 8 plugs when you do the compression test. Write down each cylinder reading and come back here with info. You can rent compression tester if you don't have one. Check out videos at you tube for info on how to do the test process. Not hard.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
74 Monte has been sold.
Do not have a clue where to begin finding cause of antifreeze in oil.
Good with other mechanical things but not something like this.
Like @OR VietVet mentioned, compression test. I have a cheap compression tester I got from Harbor Freight years ago. It's a very small investment that may very likely give you a more certain sense of direction here before you give up on her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts