What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the stock running boards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would but that would reveal my rust more and idk if there is anymore rust hiding behind that running board and I don't want to find out

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yeah we keep telling everybody they need to be in contact and that they're called jounce stops! Tony have you replaced your damn front jounce stops yet? Lol just do it no more excuses!
Not yet. I haven't had a chance to order another set. Amazon messed it up originally. They sent me the rears instead of the fronts.

brian.roberts.1293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're windows go up slow when you try to do more than one at a time or if the lights flicker when you roll the windows up with the door open, the Big 5 upgrade is needed in your rig. It just allows more amps to be drawn for accessories. The windows seem to be the biggest current draws I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So what is the big five compared to the big 3?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what is the big five compared to the big 3?

Bigger gauge wiring helps with large current draw, if you run high power devices. But it won't fix the problem with your increased discharge warning. The issue isn't a wiring one, its limitation of the type of battery we use... You'd be better off using a battery charger to desulfate the battery and charge it properly. You can't increase the battery charging rate by increasing the battery cable size, the maximum charge rate is a limitation of battery chemistry, type and temperature in exchange for life.

automotive batteries that were designed for high current quick discharge to start a car. We really need a deep discharge battery or marine battery to better handle the constant load. Using a car batttery in a deep discharge role is a recipe for short battery life and a quick reduction in capacity and hence warnings for increased discharge aka low battery.

There is a limit on how fast you can charge a battery as well. The faster the charging the hotter they get, which increases degradation of the battery and evaporation of the electrolytes which also reduces capacity. Basically you can't charge it faster than about 10ahr without degrading capacity and life span. So putting a bigger cable in won't help with charging the battery more quickly as the real charging limit is the battery itself and it's internal,design. The car automatically limits charging voltage and current to optimize battery life. A 3 gauge cable just isn't necessary for optimal battery life.

Car batteries are very poor at handling a deep discharge and are easily damaged (reduced capacity) when discharged below 50% of their capacity which probably happens frequently with the older v8s. They can only handle this kind of discharge a few hundred times (200ish) before they fail.

Batteries are complicated and fickel beasts, and it's no surprise such small batteries are struggling with big power draws and deep discharges and have a short life

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have no stereo really upgraded head unit with hid lights and may eventually upgrade the bose amp as I've seen on here. I'm thinking about doing a pretty good size inverter under a seat in the second row. Would the big 3 be something for me to look into doing? Or is it more for big stereos

I dont have any aftermarket electronics but I plan to do it anyways.

brian.roberts.1293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right I have no lights on or any problems at all right now. Knock on wood. Was just wondering what the big 5 was more than the big 3

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Batteries are complicated and fickel beasts, and it's no surprise such small batteries are struggling with big power draws and deep discharges and have a short life

Now granted, I might be a bit confused, but I was under the assumption that while a motor was running, the power for the car was provided by the alternator , and the battery acted like a capacitor to "smooth" out the electricity and make it safe for delicate components.

Agreed that batteries are fickle, but one would stand to reason that lessening the resistance from the alternator, to the battery, to the car would mean better power transfer, and less loss. Also SHOULD cause the battery to discharge less, since more of the alternator power would be getting through.

That being said, when I replace my battery (which happens about every 5 years) I buy the BIGGEST battery I can get, and get at least a 5 to 7 year warranty. Its worth it to spend 50-80 more dollars to save myself 200 later.

I've got the parts for the "big 3" on order, and plan to do it soon, if nothing else than to just make sure all my connections are good, and eliminate any power sapping corrosion.

I don't, however, know what the "big 5" is..

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
Bigger gauge wiring helps with large current draw, if you run high power devices. But it won't fix the problem with your increased discharge warning. The issue isn't a wiring one, its limitation of the type of battery we use... You'd be better off using a battery charger to desulfate the battery and charge it properly. You can't increase the battery charging rate by increasing the battery cable size, the maximum charge rate is a limitation of battery chemistry, type and temperature in exchange for life.

automotive batteries that were designed for high current quick discharge to start a car. We really need a deep discharge battery or marine battery to better handle the constant load. Using a car batttery in a deep discharge role is a recipe for short battery life and a quick reduction in capacity and hence warnings for increased discharge aka low battery.

There is a limit on how fast you can charge a battery as well. The faster the charging the hotter they get, which increases degradation of the battery and evaporation of the electrolytes which also reduces capacity. Basically you can't charge it faster than about 10ahr without degrading capacity and life span. So putting a bigger cable in won't help with charging the battery more quickly as the real charging limit is the battery itself and it's internal,design. The car automatically limits charging voltage and current to optimize battery life. A 3 gauge cable just isn't necessary for optimal battery life.

Car batteries are very poor at handling a deep discharge and are easily damaged (reduced capacity) when discharged below 50% of their capacity which probably happens frequently with the older v8s. They can only handle this kind of discharge a few hundred times (200ish) before they fail.

ogre_nerd.jpg
You've really done your research on this, huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kchaga1978

Latest posts