What are your tips/tricks to negotiating down the dealership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktpinnacle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Received the following reply from the dealership:

"Great news! I just talked to my new car manager and my appraiser and re-looked at the numbers. Looking at it from every angle and to help eliminate all the back and forth. I was able to get you out the door including TTL to $66,778.23. I attached the new quote sheet to this email. Can we move forward there?"

My Response:

"The price of the vehicle didn’t change at all ($71982). You are simply giving me more money for my trade in (which was too low to begin with).

I can go to Laura GMC in St. Louis and get a 4x4 with ACC and Open Road for 65k-66k.

Here is what I am willing to accept:

Price of Vehicle: 60k (not including TTL)

Trade: 30k"

So now we wait. I doubt they will accept the offer which is fine, I have plenty of time on my side.

View attachment 85663

Depending on what discounts you qualify for, Dillon in Boise has up to $15K off on their higher end Yukons. You can check their deals right on their website.

OP
OP
P

Protect1989

Reaction score
Dillion GMC is having some huge discounts. Unfortunately they dont have the vehicle I am looking for by 59k for a 4wd Denali is the deal of the century.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you guys paying for a 17 Tahoe premier package.
I added DVD system and towing package

Sticker is 69k

True car says 66k is a good price

OP
OP
P

Protect1989

Reaction score
Here is what drives me nuts. Dillon GMC in Boise is offering 4wd Denali with Open road package and ACC for $61,500. Same vehicle at my dealership and they want $71,900. Laura you can get the same vehicle for around $66,500.

I know this issue is a much larger problems with dealerships in general but it drives me nuts to know that I can be driving the same exact vehicle as the guy next to me, purchased at the same exact time, but he saved $6-$10k.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what drives me nuts. Dillon GMC in Boise is offering 4wd Denali with Open road package and ACC for $61,500. Same vehicle at my dealership and they want $71,900. Laura you can get the same vehicle for around $66,500.

I know this issue is a much larger problems with dealerships in general but it drives me nuts to know that I can be driving the same exact vehicle as the guy next to me, purchased at the same exact time, but he saved $6-$10k.
People travel all the time for the better deals. Fly in to Boise and drive home.

OP
OP
P

Protect1989

Reaction score
I would and have traveled quite a distance to pick up a better priced vehicle. But for the average person who only travels within a few miles of their home or doesnt think to look outside the state, it sucks that you can be ripped off so heavily.

Dcayman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Depending on what discounts you qualify for, Dillon in Boise has up to $15K off on their higher end Yukons. You can check their deals right on their website.

Has anyone actually purchased a Yukon from Dillon GMC? Do you need to qualify for every discount under the sun, including Employee pricing in order to get the price advertised?

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is something else to remember . . . Dealer advertised pricing is based upon local/regional incentives that you may or may not be eligible for if you live outside the area. Thus for example, if you plan to purchase in Boise, but live in New York City, the selling dealer is going to use your NYC zip code to figure out which incentives you qualify for.

Greeco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is something else to remember . . . Dealer advertised pricing is based upon local/regional incentives that you may or may not be eligible for if you live outside the area. Thus for example, if you plan to purchase in Boise, but live in New York City, the selling dealer is going to use your NYC zip code to figure out which incentives you qualify for.

Dillon advertises 3 different prices:

MSRP-
Sale Price-
As Low As Price-

Anyone can walk in and purchase the vehicle at the "sale price" (which is usually an amazing deal). No qualifications are required for the Sale Price. Most people will not qualify for all of the incentives required for the "As Low As" price (small business owner, military, college student, etc).

For those interested in a trip to Dillon GMC, I would recommend basing your numbers and expectations on the "Sale Price" and not the "As Low As" price. Here's an example from Dillon's website on a 2017 Yukon Denali 4WD. Even if you don't meet all of the requirements for the As Low As Price, the sale price is still a great deal and available to all buyers.

• MSRP$73,345
  • Sale Price$62,268
  • As Low As$59,268

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would and have traveled quite a distance to pick up a better priced vehicle. But for the average person who only travels within a few miles of their home or doesnt think to look outside the state, it sucks that you can be ripped off so heavily.
I wouldn't exactly call it getting ripped off. The average person your speaking of is typically pissing for the convenience of traveling especially if they are trading. Some dealers still try to make a good about of money off each sell, others are more concerned with the volume.

It sounds like you want the best price, search online and travel where needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo