What are your tips/tricks to negotiating down the dealership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Protect1989

Reaction score
I think I am going to pull the trigger on a 2017 Denali.

I wanted to see what sort of tips/tricks each of you used to negotiate down the price of your vehicles. Did you call up Laura GMC and use them as leverage against a local dealership? Print out a Truecar certificate? What is your secret recipe for getting the price you want on the vehicle you want?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time i have bought a new vehicle(6+), i tell them what i want, how much i want to pay and let them do their thing, they get 2-3 chances to 'talk to tgeir manager'.....if i dont like what they say i get up and walk out..... they have my # and normally never use it because they chase me out to the car as im about to leave. I have never NOT gotten what i want.... whether it be floor mats, mud guards, oil changes or price in general....

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being able to walk out if it's not within 500 of what you told them they'd do, I'd even haggle over the 500

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually work the majority of the deal via the internet sales manager before even stepping foot on the lot. I'll get them to give me a solid price on the vehicle I'm interested in and then a ballpark (within a $1,000 or 2) offer on my trade in. Once I get to the dealership I will then finalize it all including the financing numbers. Key is to tell them up front you have to leave the dealership within a certain time (an hour or two of arrival) so they don't pull the ******** walk away to talk to the manager several times and to also never give them the keys to go take a look at your trade in by themselves. Always go out there with them and keep the keys in your possession.

If things don't go well, don't be afraid to just get up and walk out. They'll eventually meet the deal you want unless it's some absurd number.

At the end of the day all that matters is that you are happy with the deal and you were treated well by the dealership. There will always be someone somewhere who gets a better deal than you for one reason or another.

jac1304

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be prepared to walk away...do all negotiations on the phone or email so you know what your going pay before you show up to sign. Test drive but don't buy the same day...if you haven't driven one before.

Just remember to try and leave emotions out of it..They need you more than you need them.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is an advertised price and it is a good deal, that is what I go for. In order for the deal to happen, it has to be good for both parties. I've noticed that some dealer's only offer MSRP less rebates while others offer further discounts. If the dealer's in your area base their pricing on MSRP without any discounts, then look to see what nearby dealers are doing for comparable vehicles.

I am always a fan of purchasing from the local dealership if at all possible since customer loyalty can be rewarded in the sales and service departments.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you finance it's much more profitable for the dealer (than paying cash) and you can usually get a better deal.

Also, if you're walking into a dealer for any other reason than signing papers and grabbing keys you've wasted your time IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs