What are your tips/tricks to negotiating down the dealership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying 60k OTD (tax, tag, license etc) included or the price of the vehicle is 60k + TTL.
Considering I don't know what your taxes are, no. In Missouri you deal with your taxes at the DOR when you go to register. I'd offer them 60k with no other fees added. Then they can add your tax and tags (which they don't get the money for, the state does).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Protect1989

Reaction score
Thanks. Calculated the tax for Texas (6.25%). Sent them back 30k for my trade and 63k OTD (incl all taxes, fees, etc). We will hear what they have to say.

Ive got time on my hands so I can play the long game with the negotiating. Thank you for the suggestions.

OP
OP
P

Protect1989

Reaction score
Received the following reply from the dealership:

"Great news! I just talked to my new car manager and my appraiser and re-looked at the numbers. Looking at it from every angle and to help eliminate all the back and forth. I was able to get you out the door including TTL to $66,778.23. I attached the new quote sheet to this email. Can we move forward there?"

My Response:

"The price of the vehicle didn’t change at all ($71982). You are simply giving me more money for my trade in (which was too low to begin with).

I can go to Laura GMC in St. Louis and get a 4x4 with ACC and Open Road for 65k-66k.

Here is what I am willing to accept:

Price of Vehicle: 60k (not including TTL)

Trade: 30k"

So now we wait. I doubt they will accept the offer which is fine, I have plenty of time on my side.

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 2.55.38 PM.png

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, it's a chess game.

OP
OP
P

Protect1989

Reaction score
UPDATE: 7/6/17 - 6:52pm

Received a response from the dealership:
"Unfortunately with this particular vehicle, it has that additional $1750 power running board option that we cannot make up on this vehicle. To be at $60,000 with the sales price, that’s $15,000 discount on this vehicle. We don’t even own the vehicle for that amount.

Is there an amount closer on the vehicle that does have the power running boards, ACC, open road, and 22’ wheels that you’re willing to move forward?"

Basically it seems they are justifying the $71,982 price point because it has the power running boards. Laura has a 4x4 with just about everything I want for around $66,500. I can just pull the trigger on that now or wait until August and see what discount Laura offers

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get what you want, if you don't you will regret it in a year or two. Do what you think is a good deal and get the Denali you want, not the one the dealership wants to sell you.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your dealership must be different than all the others I have ever heard of. Incentives are given from the banks for loans, extended warranties, accessories, vehicle manufactures. There is very little money for the dealership or salesman in a cash only dealing if there was no deanship would sell under invoice and there are many that make killing doing just that.
+1. Lots of ways dealers make money, and cash deals take away at least one of their levers.

That said, if you have cash they may see you as a lower risk since you don't have to qualify. I think that's a very small consideration for people in most demographics.

I self-financed mine; walked in the door with a USAA pay order. It's essentially a blank check where the dealer fills in their name and a few other pieces of info. The dealer finance lady still tried to get me to use her financing at 150bp higher, rationale being "help out the dealership." Like that was my priority.

ktpinnacle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1. Lots of ways dealers make money, and cash deals take away at least one of their levers.

That said, if you have cash they may see you as a lower risk since you don't have to qualify. I think that's a very small consideration for people in most demographics.

I self-financed mine; walked in the door with a USAA pay order. It's essentially a blank check where the dealer fills in their name and a few other pieces of info. The dealer finance lady still tried to get me to use her financing at 150bp higher, rationale being "help out the dealership." Like that was my priority.

Maybe for another grand off . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts