Want to Buy a Suburban But Cant Get Past This...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were that worried about how many people I could fit, I'd buy a 15 passenger van, or the suburban with the front bench too.

If we were to travel with the grandparents they would have to drive their own vehicle, or I'd drive one and my wife would drive the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were that worried about how many people I could fit, I'd buy a 15 passenger van, or the suburban with the front bench too.

If we were to travel with the grandparents they would have to drive their own vehicle, or I'd drive one and my wife would drive the other.

Thank you for your advice. However I don't need to carry 15 people. As I mentioned, I have 5 most of the time and sometimes 7. Grandparents in my household have to fly to get to my house so they can't just take their own car. We don't have the luxury of living close to grandparents.

And when the grandparents are here we travel about 350 miles together. It's not a short trip to McDonalds, so taking two cars is not ideal.

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. However I don't need to carry 15 people. As I mentioned, I have 5 most of the time and sometimes 7. Grandparents in my household have to fly to get to my house so they can't just take their own car. We don't have the luxury of living close to grandparents.

And when the grandparents are here we travel about 350 miles together. It's not a short trip to McDonalds, so taking two cars is not ideal.
Well if you only need up to 7 what do you need center bench for? Not being a wise guy, but I'd do what the other guy said and run with the grandparents in the captains and kids in the back. They'll fit comfortably, and grandparents will be comfortable and have their own space as well.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestion. How old are your kids? I'm wondering up to what age would they still be comfortable traveling long distances in the third row?

Now they are 21, 15 and 13. When I was a kid there were 3 of us in the backseat of my Dad's Toyota Corolla and later Olds Cutlass. We traveled for weeks every summer in those cars.

My Pontiac Montana's have more leg room in their 3rd rows. My father and I can sit back there comfortably together and he's 6'2".

For me the trouble with the 2nd row bench is that it doesn't recline. My kids' backs were hurting by the end of the test drives.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suburban with captain's chairs FTW. Both sets of grandparents live far away. We put them in the captain's chairs or mothers in front, kids in the back. We have packed that truck so full of stuff to go camping with 5 people, that everyone had a bag between their legs and no one was uncomfortable.

I grew up with my 2 brothers in the middle vinyl bench seat of many Suburbans. That extra cargo room and having the accessibility to the 3rd row is a major plus in my book. Having the captain's chairs when it's just the kids and the dog, make it super easy for space and the "I'm not touching you" wars!

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, did you get captains chairs in the second row? If yes/no are you happy with your decision?
8 passenger with second and third row bench seats in all three of my Suburbans.

Easier for hauling kids and stuff when the seats are folded down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz