Want to Buy a Suburban But Cant Get Past This...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason is that it's only legally required for the outboard seats to have head rests. Another reason is unless you are strictly a side mirror driver, that middle head rest makes it impossible to see from the rear view mirror.

You said you have 3 boys. Curious as to how old they are. Growing up as the youngest of 3 siblings I know if we were all in the backseat of the sedan all we did was fight. If we were in the 'Griswold family roadster' one or two of us would sit in the back to have our own space. I was under the impression that families opted for the suburban if they were planning to use that third row most of the time.

My boys are young, 7, 5, and 2, but I'm thinking of buying something that will take me 10 years so through some of their teen age years. Captains chairs are great but about three times a year I also need to take the grand parents with us on long trips.

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Annual drive from DC to Houston with three cranky 6-foot boys for Thanksgiving $2,000 . . . . One new 08 Suburban $34,0000. . . DVD player and headphones . . . Priceless. For everything else, there is MasterCard.

I'm curious, did you get captains chairs in the second row? If yes/no are you happy with your decision?

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, did you get captains chairs in the second row? If yes/no are you happy with your decision?
We got captains chairs in center for one reason, so kids don't have to climb over/on seats to get in the back. We have a 12, 11, 7, &6 year old. Wouldn't dream of not having captains in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got captains chairs in center for one reason, so kids don't have to climb over/on seats to get in the back. We have a 12, 11, 7, &6 year old. Wouldn't dream of not having captains in the middle.

Thanks for your reply. That makes total sense. What about this dilemma? Did you ever think of what happens if you go on a trip with grandparents or additional people? That's the part I'm struggling with. I agree for my family alone, captains chairs are the way to go.

Alexquade

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. That makes total sense. What about this dilemma? Did you ever think of what happens if you go on a trip with grandparents or additional people? That's the part I'm struggling with. I agree for my family alone, captains chairs are the way to go.

I've fit 7 people in my '11 xl with captains seats comfortably multiple times. =}

And they weren't too short of people either.

VDV18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strap grandma and grandpa to the top in a cargo carrier, they'll be laying down and have no chance of receiving whiplash. Kidding aside, I've never even heard of anyone discussing this topic.

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put the grandparents in the second row captain's chairs and all the kids in the 3rd row on the bench. We've been doing it for years and years that way.

Thank you for your suggestion. How old are your kids? I'm wondering up to what age would they still be comfortable traveling long distances in the third row?

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Had to special order a bench for my Denali. Automatic fold up and out of the way to allow for rear bench access.

No climbing here.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the grandparents in the second row captain's chairs and all the kids in the 3rd row on the bench. We've been doing it for years and years that way.

4 kids in the way back with only 2 headrests and 3 seat belts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts