Want to Buy a Suburban But Cant Get Past This...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm absolutely in love with the Suburban. I like the history, oldest name plate, the size, the power, the style, everything. I have a family of 5 (3 boys) and there aren't many other vehicles that will meet my family's needs. Specifically I am looking at getting a late model, 2015 or newer Suburban.

I've driven it many times and like everything about it....except today I realized that the middle seats in BOTH the second and third rows do NOT have headrests! This is extremely dangerous for any passenger riding in those middle seats, as headrests prevent whiplash. WTF!? I can't believe it. Is there a solution? How is Chevy getting away with this when the Toyota Sequoia and Ford Expedition both have headrests for all seats... I just don't understand.

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2016 Yukon XL has headrests middle and rear rows.

Thank you for your reply. Just for my understanding, are you saying that BOTH the second row middle seat, and the third row middle seats have headrests? The middle seats are my question, I know that the outboard seats have headrests.

I want to keep all my kids safe, even the middle seaters!

See the following:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ratings-info/rear-head-restraints-test

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/how-to-save-your-neck-in-a-rear-end-crash/index.htm

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do not. They also don't put it in the middle seat in the front of their trucks, nor does dodge. However, Toyota and Ford do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mwbutcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup - buy it with captains and you have head rest for 6 for your family of 5 and enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

PivotalRex

Reaction score
The reason is that it's only legally required for the outboard seats to have head rests. Another reason is unless you are strictly a side mirror driver, that middle head rest makes it impossible to see from the rear view mirror.

You said you have 3 boys. Curious as to how old they are. Growing up as the youngest of 3 siblings I know if we were all in the backseat of the sedan all we did was fight. If we were in the 'Griswold family roadster' one or two of us would sit in the back to have our own space. I was under the impression that families opted for the suburban if they were planning to use that third row most of the time.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason is that it's only legally required for the outboard seats to have head rests. Another reason is unless you are strictly a side mirror driver, that middle head rest makes it impossible to see from the rear view mirror.

You said you have 3 boys. Curious as to how old they are. Growing up as the youngest of 3 siblings I know if we were all in the backseat of the sedan all we did was fight. If we were in the 'Griswold family roadster' one or two of us would sit in the back to have our own space. I was under the impression that families opted for the suburban if they were planning to use that third row most of the time.

Annual drive from DC to Houston with three cranky 6-foot boys for Thanksgiving $2,000 . . . . One new 08 Suburban $34,0000. . . DVD player and headphones . . . Priceless. For everything else, there is MasterCard.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:welcome:to the forum. Vehicles are like people, their all different. Just deal with what you find, or drop the big bucks and order one. JMHO and good luck.
David g............:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu