Truck rides like crap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Mines 4wd and i want to go 3/5 drop. How hard is this going to be? Nobody pays attention at gmfs so I thought I would try here. djm has a kit, but on the website it says that it may cause it to bottom out. Can this be avoided and still use the 5" coil? Will cutting bumpstops down help this?

With a 5" coil, the axle will bottom out on the bumstops. You can't trim enough off the bumstop alone, so you'll have to cut the bumpstop mounting brackets off the frame and relocate the bumstops to the frame itself w/o the original brackets. This will free up a couple extra inches of travel and prevent the bottoming out that DJM is referring to.
As for the front, since it's 4wd, you have accelerated wear on the cv joints if you go too low, but 3" should be okay.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut the bumpstop brackets out of my truck about 7months after the drop. What a difference that makes. The driver side is a little harder to cut, the gas tank is in the way so a extra set of eyes makes it easier.

fatnlowtahoe504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine bottoms out all of the time with the 3/5 drop, i dont think moving the bump stops is going to do anything with mine cus the axle is so so close the frame already, but they do sell universal bolt in C Notches and that would give you a few more inches, cus thats what i will be doing when i bag my truck this summer.. here is a pic of it.. http://www.resto-modtechnology.com/catalog/t_16817_01.jpg

PavementPounder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut the bumpstop brackets out of my truck about 7months after the drop. What a difference that makes. The driver side is a little harder to cut, the gas tank is in the way so a extra set of eyes makes it easier.

not trying to sound like a complete **** but you have no bumpstops in the rear whatsoever? This does not affect/hurt anything?

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
Bumpstops......

you'd have to drive more carefully. you wouldn't need them unless you wanna save your axle.

I have a 3/5 drop and took mine out all together. I initially cut them down but needed to trim them more so I took them out and haven't put them back in. I don't bottom out at all but I took out my 3rd row seats and rarely have passengers in the back besides my baby girl. I have hit bottom once or twice on some huge dips in the road but it hasn't been an issue....

Fyrcaptain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sepiroth what are componants of choice for your drop (looks good, about what I want for my truck & actually looks right with the stock wheels 17's?), and what are your measurements to the underside of your fender lip front and rear?

Thanks

OP
OP
Sepiroth

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
Captain, I went smooth and simple for the drop. I got 2" drop keys for the front and went with 3"coils for the rear.

IIRC it sits at 31" all around. I can double check if you really want me to..

Yea, I have to agree that the truck had the right amount of drop and sits level. Actually those are the stock 16" rims with P265-70r16 BFG Long Trails.

Fyrcaptain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha......whose keys and springs did you wind up using?

Captain, I went smooth and simple for the drop. I got 2" drop keys for the front and went with 3"coils for the rear.

IIRC it sits at 31" all around. I can double check if you really want me to..

Yea, I have to agree that the truck had the right amount of drop and sits level. Actually those are the stock 16" rims with P265-70r16 BFG Long Trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnbri512

Latest posts