Duramax rattle/vibration when accelerating, sounds like it's coming from exterior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbusnut

Reaction score
I've got a vibration that's associated with the engine that I only hear when accelerating at low speeds and certain low engine RPMs. It sounds like it's coming from the right side of the vehicle, either underneath or at the back of the engine compartment. Today I also started to hear it under acceleration at higher speeds and RPMs. There was another post where someone stated that they found some issue relating to the mounting of the power retractable running boards (if I remember correctly), however I am unable to find it. The sound is like metal on metal to me.

The Duramax is a lot noisier in general than I expected it to be, coming from a 6.2, to the point that I went and drove another brand new Yukon Duramax at the dealer to compare. I've pretty much come to accept that it's just a smaller engine, and of course is a diesel, hence the lack of audible refinement that I am used to with a gas V8 (that's solely my opinion, obviously). I have a 6.6 liter Duramax in my Sierra HD, and that sounds completely different. But that's a much larger engine, and it definitely has the diesel sound.

I can accept the inherent sounds of the 3.0 Duramax, but there shouldn't be any rattles/vibrations. I've already had the dealer check heat shields and the exhaust system, and of course they didn't find any issues, however if someone else has experienced this noise and has successfully diagnosed and fixed it, I'd love to know how they did it.

Thanks in advance.

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s only low speed or idle it could be a motor mount that’s on its way out

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it only has 1,500 miles on it, so I hope that's not the case. I probably should have clarified that. 2024 Yukon Denali w/1,500 miles.
Wouldn’t know the answer then stuff that new I have no knowledge on

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is about the most "Un-Dieselly" quietest diesel I've owned, and I've owned plenty. I've had many guests ride in ours and they are SHOCKED it is a diesel and said they would have never suspected that, otherwise....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Friendy