TPS Voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't yet. It's just frustrating. The wiring looks OK. That's as far as my wiring skills/schematic skills go.
You need to find someone that can ohm out the wires for you while doing the wiggle test or pay a mechanic to do it. You can buy a cheap multimeter and use it to do the test. I can walk you through it.

Does it always fail around the same throttle position?

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
You need to find someone that can ohm out the wires for you while doing the wiggle test or pay a mechanic to do it. You can buy a cheap multimeter and use it to do the test. I can walk you through it.

Does it always fail around the same throttle position?
I'm not really sure. It's been the same since I got it back from the trans guy, just off--no real power. Even the exhaust doesn't sound like it did before.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, regarding the TP sensor, simply ohming it out won't provide conclusive evidence to condemn the sensor. You'll need to use a higher end scan tool, something with the ability to graph or scope the readings. The point where the sensor may drop out(if it's faulty) is most likely going to be too quick for a meter to pick up wether you're checking resistance or for the 5volt reference. You could use a min/max in this scenario, considering the voltages should never go to complete 0 or max out at 5v, but I wouldn't recommend it.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Unfortunately, regarding the TP sensor, simply ohming it out won't provide conclusive evidence to condemn the sensor. You'll need to use a higher end scan tool, something with the ability to graph or scope the readings. The point where the sensor may drop out(if it's faulty) is most likely going to be too quick for a meter to pick up wether you're checking resistance or for the 5volt reference. You could use a min/max in this scenario, considering the voltages should never go to complete 0 or max out at 5v, but I wouldn't recommend it.
I'm def gonna bite the bullet on this one.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure we're all looking in the wrong direction with the tp sensor then.

When you say you have a lack of power/no ass behind her anymore and the tran was just rebuilt. It would make me want to wonder more about wether they replaced your torque converter and if they did if it was a crap converter... that could definitely give the symptoms you're having. ALWAYS have the converter replaced with a new one if the tranny is being rebuilt.

The only odd thing, is you mentioned that the exhaust doesn't sound the same. The y-pipe would've been removed for the tranny to be dropped which if your idle is off and there's a lack of power, that's makes one want to think of a restriction in the exhaust. Maybe the pipes got rattled around and knocked a piece loose internal. To rule that theory out though you could just break loose the y-pipe from the exhaust manifolds and see if you get your power back. And since they just had the exhaust apart those bolts should have a slim to none chance of breaking.

I just don't want to see ya have to take it in and get ***** for something they more than likely are at fault for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm sure we're all looking in the wrong direction with the tp sensor then.

When you say you have a lack of power/no ass behind her anymore and the tran was just rebuilt. It would make me want to wonder more about wether they replaced your torque converter and if they did if it was a crap converter... that could definitely give the symptoms you're having. ALWAYS have the converter replaced with a new one if the tranny is being rebuilt.

The only odd thing, is you mentioned that the exhaust doesn't sound the same. The y-pipe would've been removed for the tranny to be dropped which if your idle is off and there's a lack of power, that's makes one want to think of a restriction in the exhaust. Maybe the pipes got rattled around and knocked a piece loose internal. To rule that theory out though you could just break loose the y-pipe from the exhaust manifolds and see if you get your power back. And since they just had the exhaust apart those bolts should have a slim to none chance of breaking.

I just don't want to see ya have to take it in and get ***** for something they more than likely are at fault for.
It's the same convertor and he said he flushed it. That inspection hole in the bell housing of the trans is missing the plug, so I was able to look in there. I'm not really sure about a restriction in the exhaust. It doesn't sound like that, just doesn't sound as ballsy, raspy I guess. I'll get under it this weekend and poke around some more. Thx for your input.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the same convertor and he said he flushed it. That inspection hole in the bell housing of the trans is missing the plug, so I was able to look in there. I'm not really sure about a restriction in the exhaust. It doesn't sound like that, just doesn't sound as ballsy, raspy I guess. I'll get under it this weekend and poke around some more. Thx for your input.

WHAT?!?!

You can not "flush" a torque converter. You might want to ask him how and have the guy show you what he did to "flush" the converter. They would have had to drill into it to drain it which would completely destroy the unit and even then you can't drain the fluid trapped between the impeller, stator, and turbine. It is impossible and that is 100% wrong brother. They should've known not to reinstall the old converter for one. Two they should know it can't be "flushed". Hands down, that right there may be your problem.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
WHAT?!?!

You can not "flush" a torque converter. You might want to ask him how and have the guy show you what he did to "flush" the converter. They would have had to drill into it to drain it which would completely destroy the unit and even then you can't drain the fluid trapped between the impeller, stator, and turbine. It is impossible and that is 100% wrong brother. They should've known not to reinstall the old converter for one. Two they should know it can't be "flushed". Hands down, that right there may be your problem.
I'm going to ask him about it again. I'm gonna see what he says about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900