Battery Voltage Fluctuation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2001 TX Tahoe

Reaction score
2016 GMC Yukon XL SLT. Relatively new Odyssey battery. I noticed on a road trip this summer the voltage gauge fluctuating while highway driving. Sometimes it would be centered on 14V, but it was often dropping down into what looked like the 11-12 range. I didn't notice any issues that might be related to low voltage other than my 12V fridge in the rear, which was plugged into the 12V plug in the rear, was beeping due to low voltage and showed voltage that varied between 10.5 and 12.5.

Attachments

• battery voltage.jpg
    battery voltage.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 2

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are programmed to cycle on and off to help with fuel economy. If you need more reserve, you can add an additional battery in parallel. There's a mount already in the truck for it behind the drivers headlight

OP
OP

2001 TX Tahoe

Reaction score
They are programmed to cycle on and off to help with fuel economy. If you need more reserve, you can add an additional battery in parallel. There's a mount already in the truck for it behind the drivers headlight
Got it, thank you!

HomeMadeSin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This piqued my curiosity also. Took the first long trip (‘18 XL Denali 6.2 4x4). Voltage fluctuated from a touch over 14v to about 12.5V. Glad to hear it’s by design.

But let me say that whomever was responsible for using 9v, 14v and 19v as markers spread over 8 graphically equal divisions…well hopefully “the fleas of a thousand camels invades his/her crotch.”

z

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This piqued my curiosity also. Took the first long trip (‘18 XL Denali 6.2 4x4). Voltage fluctuated from a touch over 14v to about 12.5V. Glad to hear it’s by design.

But let me say that whomever was responsible for using 9v, 14v and 19v as markers spread over 8 graphically equal divisions…well hopefully “the fleas of a thousand camels invades his/her crotch.”

z

"Whomever" wanted you to not expect the gauge to be accurate. ;)

HomeMadeSin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A more rational nemesis would’ve used ‘L’ and ‘H’ and called it good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork