The Denali threw in the towel today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denasty08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a broken valve spring a while back and decided to do a cam swap as well. I went with a comp cams vvt cam stage 2 and longtubes. I didn't want to put a bigger stall in which the stage 3 & 4 required. I will definitely tell you the power gains are very noticeable. The 6.2 really pulls hard through the rpm range. The stock cam seems to stop making power over 5k and the new cam just keeps going. You will be very pleased with a new cam!

OP
OP
Jjdenali

Jjdenali

Reaction score
I had a broken valve spring a while back and decided to do a cam swap as well. I went with a comp cams vvt cam stage 2 and longtubes. I didn't want to put a bigger stall in which the stage 3 & 4 required. I will definitely tell you the power gains are very noticeable. The 6.2 really pulls hard through the rpm range. The stock cam seems to stop making power over 5k and the new cam just keeps going. You will be very pleased with a new cam!
I just took the short block to the machine shop yesterday. The number 2 cam bearing was toast. It hadn't spun yet but wasn't far from it. I hope the block is OK. I haven't decided yet which route I want to go. I love the benefits of the vvt but I'm worried about the oiling issue that caused this problem I'm having right now. I may go with a standard cam and delete the vvt. I did decide to go ahead and put new rings, bearings, cam bearings, oil pump etc. Probably a set of full roller rockers and I'm seriously contemplating putting my buddies fabricated mid rise Ls3 intake on it just to see. I can always switch back to the L92 intake later.

Denasty08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I kept the vvt just for ease of things. I made sure to get the cam phase limiter though with the new cam. Definitely a good call on a motor with that many miles to replace everything, cheap insurance to protect your investment. Who do you plan to have tune it after you're done?

OP
OP
Jjdenali

Jjdenali

Reaction score
I forgot to add IF you do go with a comp cams vvt cam make sure you read the Tech Bulletin.

http://www.compcams.com/Base/pdf/156 to 189 core.pdf

I almost missed this little bit of information. There is 2 different cam cores they use. You need to reference what cam phaser part number you have to get the right cam core.
I read that. I've been immersed in L92/Ls3 material for weeks now lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645