Cost to swap engine in a 2017 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BostonMike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2017 Tahoe LT, 84K miles from a dealership. Since taking delivery the check engine light has been coming on/off. The dealership has been looking at it for a few days. The code indicates a misfire, but the engine runs smooth. They think it may be an issue with the cam. They are recommending either swapping out the engine for a similar used engine (on their dime), or applying what we paid for this Tahoe towards any other vehicle their auto group has. (I am guessing since they can't tell exactly what is wrong with the motor, they'd prefer to not screw around endlessly chasing the demons)

The idea of a replacement engine of unknown heritage does not excite me. They do have a 2018 Tahoe LT, 60K miles that looks interesting.

My intent, if I like the 2018, is to argue that they'd need to spend $x to replace my engine, so they should knock a few grand off the 2018 for my inconvenience, as well as their own self interest.

I'm looking for opinions on what it might cost them to buy a used engine and swap it into my 2017. Googling gives a wide range of numbers, wondering if anyone here has first hand experience.

Thanks!

Sterling16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They are recommending either swapping out the engine for a similar used engine (on their dime), or applying what we paid for this Tahoe towards any other vehicle their auto group has.
Wow. That's a pretty generous offer. And here I thought getting all new struts on my used 2016 was a good deal.

OP
OP
B

BostonMike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I talked to the dealership again today. Depending on what is available (and at what cost to them) for a used engine from a local supplier, they would either do the cam replacement or just replace the whole engine.

As I said, a used engine of unknown heritage makes me uncomfortable. The dealership countered that the replacement would have a 1yr warrantee while my current engine does not. Fair.

I wonder what the difference in price would be between a used engine and a remanufactured engine? Perhaps pay the difference and have a zero-mile engine??

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would ask what the labor is involved to replace the came and lifters. If it's a misfire it maybe a lifter on it's way out the door. If they want to replace the engine with a used engine there must be a break point on labor to replace the aforementioned items as opposed to replacing the entire motor. I would make them fix what you have, but that's me.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe they have had problem with this vehicle before and have already replaced cam and lifter without success. Being why the change out engine offer.
If it where me, I'd go for 2018. With the best deal you can get.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I talked to the dealership again today. Depending on what is available (and at what cost to them) for a used engine from a local supplier, they would either do the cam replacement or just replace the whole engine.

As I said, a used engine of unknown heritage makes me uncomfortable. The dealership countered that the replacement would have a 1yr warrantee while my current engine does not. Fair.

I wonder what the difference in price would be between a used engine and a remanufactured engine? Perhaps pay the difference and have a zero-mile engine??
if the engine replacement cost was totally on you the price would be right around $8-10k low being used, high being crate motor (just a general estimate, could be more)
dealer cost on the back-end is obviously less, how much less is anyone's guess
this doesn't mean the dealer should have to eat the cost twice and reduce the cost of the 18 although in a perfect world that would be nice.
you bought this one used, putting a used engine in it is not 1 iota different.
unless the 18 is more cherry and the price is within your means then I would take the replacement and 1 yr warranty and have a nice day.
alternatively you could throw your card in and "ask" how much extra a crate motor would cost you out of pocket, this gives you a 3yr 100k warranty (whichever comes first)

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this at a GM / Chevrolet dealership?
Maybe see if you’re willing to pay a bit more out of pocket for a new replacement motor they offer you the new replacement at their cost?
Or split the cost of the new replacement motor with you? Not sure how half the cost of the new motor would compare to a used motor.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
applying what we paid for this Tahoe towards any other vehicle their auto group has
if you have the above option, do that
seriously, do that

You don't want to pay extra into this mix? A rebuilt motor doesn't make this vehicle worth any more.

A used motor (in theory) isn't different than what you have now except you'll have someone removing and replacing it. Lets just assume you'll stumble into other issues through that process.

Best case out of this deal is you end up with what you have already paid for, all other scenarios have you getting the short end of the stick. Skip the pain and get a different truck.

OP
OP
B

BostonMike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice. After weighing the options, we ended up swapping for another truck on the lot. They had a 2017 4Runner which my wife took a liking to. A very different beast, but likely a better choice for my wife as it's smaller and easier to maneuver. (Although surprisingly the Tahoe had a smaller turning radius).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660