The Denali threw in the towel today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jjdenali

Reaction score
Well at 225,000 miles the ol 6.2 lost a lifter or a cam lobe this morning. I'm going to pull it tomorrow since the kids are with their mom. Might as well freshen it up and put a cam in it. Any recommendations on cams? Small preferably since my fiance will still be dailying it. I might change the converter while the engines out. My ears are open to any and all recommendations or opinions , this is the first ls engine I've ever taken apart. Lots of duramax, Cummins and powerstroke experience but fortunately I've never blown up an ls before.

undy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 225K miles I'd do nothing other than a full rebuild. Probably low oil pressure was a major contributing factor to the wiped cam. Your solution will do little to fix the problem, IMO.

eagle-co94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No better time than now than to drop a cam in it. I don't have any specs to recommend though. If you're not going to get much benefit from driving it then maybe just dropping in a low mileage motor from a wrecked truck would be easier and quicker.

OP
OP
Jjdenali

Jjdenali

Reaction score
At 225K miles I'd do nothing other than a full rebuild. Probably low oil pressure was a major contributing factor to the wiped cam. Your solution will do little to fix the problem, IMO.
I don't think you read my post correctly. I'm pulling the engine it's going to get rebuilt.

OP
OP
Jjdenali

Jjdenali

Reaction score
No better time than now than to drop a cam in it. I don't have any specs to recommend though. If you're not going to get much benefit from driving it then maybe just dropping in a low mileage motor from a wrecked truck would be easier and quicker.
I get to drive it from time to time. Honestly she wants it faster lol she wants it to keep up with my truck but I told her it wouldn't be very streetable if it made enough power to out run my truck. I'd really like to force some air into it but it's just not in the budget right now.

David Paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know where your coming from. Rebuild with a mild street cam and headers. The hard part is done with the motor out. Anything you do after will icing on the cake. When it's done you'll be glad you did.

PS, no charge for helping you spend your money, that's what we're here for.
:cheers:

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely get rid of the AFM crap. That is probably what caused your issue. Cam, rockers, long tubes, and a tune and you'll be all set.