Shudder at light throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any progress is good progress, though I fear the improvements could be in your head, still hoping for progress. Time will tell. Your logic makes sense so I'm rooting for ya!

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove all day and I'm still driving and no shudder. I always had a feeling that this Tahoe is being held back by something like the brakes dragging but they weren't the only thing was that I found underneath was Rusty e brake cables so I soak them in WD40 today earlier and maybe also that dr. tranny shudder fix is starting to really work now, who knows but it's not really shuddering anymore.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drove all day and I'm still driving and no shudder. I always had a feeling that this Tahoe is being held back by something like the brakes dragging but they weren't the only thing was that I found underneath was Rusty e brake cables so I soak them in WD40 today earlier and maybe also that dr. tranny shudder fix is starting to really work now, who knows but it's not really shuddering anymore.

Ok fingers crossed for you.

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove about an hour today, and feeling good about how well it drives. Anyone who thinks it's a torque converter shudder should check for brakes that drag and either find a way to adjust or replace them and try Dr Tranny shudder fix. I used 2 2ounce tubes. I'll report back if I feel any shudders.... But so far around town ( City driving) I'm up to exactly 15.0 City driving mpg was about 12.8 to 13 around town. I believe that 15.0 mpg is supposed to be what Chevy says it's supposed to be. Thanks for every one's support on here. Hope you guys that have shuddering get it solved without too much out of pocket.

Last edited:

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its so hard to accept it as brakes fixed because you would feel the issue at lower speeds. If I'm crawling around the neighborhood, I dont think the issue happens. You have to be going a moderate speed to feel the shudder and the slower you go, the bigger the impact should be of brake issue. We would also smell more than usual braking or feel an abnormal amount of heat if it was that consistent. I have had sticky calipers before and there is a noticeable difference in heat and smell. It seems like that Dr Tranny may have did the trick (or maybe I'm just hoping)

I'm very happy for you and appreciate the testing. I bought that brake switch for cheap on amazon and though I dont think it will fix the shudder, it has the potential of fixing 2 issues (cruise control doesnt work). Will definitely go the dr tranny route next and still look forward to more updates from you.

How did you put the dr tranny? You put on 2 different occassions or back to back? How many miles would you say you put on the truck since you first added?

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its so hard to accept it as brakes fixed because you would feel the issue at lower speeds. If I'm crawling around the neighborhood, I dont think the issue happens. You have to be going a moderate speed to feel the shudder and the slower you go, the bigger the impact should be of brake issue. We would also smell more than usual braking or feel an abnormal amount of heat if it was that consistent. I have had sticky calipers before and there is a noticeable difference in heat and smell. It seems like that Dr Tranny may have did the trick (or maybe I'm just hoping)

I'm very happy for you and appreciate the testing. I bought that brake switch for cheap on amazon and though I dont think it will fix the shudder, it has the potential of fixing 2 issues (cruise control doesnt work). Will definitely go the dr tranny route next and still look forward to more updates from you.

How did you put the dr tranny? You put on 2 different occassions or back to back? How many miles would you say you put on the truck since you first added?

I put in (1) 2 ounce tube, then about 3 days later added another 2 ounce tube..try 1 first
I also got a new brake switch. My crusie control works now.

Last edited:

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in (1) 2 ounce tube, then about 3 days later added another 2 ounce tube..try 1 first
I also got a new brake switch. My crusie control works now.

My brake switch just came in yesterday and I installed too. I owned the truck for over a year now and never had working cruise control. My initial drive after change, I felt shudder like usual. I then tested cruise control successfully and shudder seemed to have gone away or gotten way better. I'm still testing and making sure its gone but definitely going the dr tranny route if its not.

Some things I noticed when I changed my switch out:
1) Original switch didnt seem to be fully installed. You could see the green marks on the screw before you even start to unscrew.
2) After cleaning my throttle body, I had to do a relearn process because if I revved, my rpm's would stick, especially if I got it over 3k rpm. Even after the learning process, it would not stick under 1500 rpm but it would still stick a little if I got it over 2500 rpm. After changing out this switch, no sticking at all, back to normal like before I cleaned throttle.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2) After cleaning my throttle body, I had to do a relearn process because if I revved, my rpm's would stick, especially if I got it over 3k rpm. Even after the learning process, it would not stick under 1500 rpm but it would still stick a little if I got it over 2500 rpm. After changing out this switch, no sticking at all, back to normal like before I cleaned throttle.

That is amazing to me, I had to go to the shop and get mine forced to relearn the idle.

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my MSD wires because I read that they're not good for electronic fuel-injected engines I went back to the AC Delco s and made sure all the spark plugs are tight and man what a difference Tahoe accelerates so crisp and smooth right now.

Last edited:

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went for more driving yesterday and though acceleration is better/smoother, i still can still create the shudder. Its harder to create than before but still exists. Sometimes I hear these cracks and creeks so was a little worried about a bad u joint as someone else confirmed this caused shudders while driving. Will check on that first then dr tranny here I come!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157