'13 Yukon Xl 6.2 transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

helpmedad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could you post a link to your parts list for the trans in question.

•Amcco quoted right under 7k for upgraded trans with 100k 3 year.

• Local trans shop said 3800 remaned. And even painted, 2 year unlimited mile warranty, upgraded as well. Got a buddy who's got 3 done there and they have fixed all issues and good on there warranty.

•Family friend that is gm certified mechanic 10+ years said, he would trust no builder besides gm certified. Quoted 4400 for just trans and 67ish for installed. 3 year/ 36k warranty (From dealership)

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you post a link to your parts list for the trans in question.

•Amcco quoted right under 7k for upgraded trans with 100k 3 year.

• Local trans shop said 3800 remaned. And even painted, 2 year unlimited mile warranty, upgraded as well. Got a buddy who's got 3 done there and they have fixed all issues and good on there warranty.

•Family friend that is gm certified mechanic 10+ years said, he would trust no builder besides gm certified. Quoted 4400 for just trans and 67ish for installed. 3 year/ 36k warranty (From dealership)

search for his tranny thread, lots of good rebuild info, and his YouTube has good tear down videos. get an idea what's going on with these trannys.

from my causal following along since I don't currently own a 6L anything.(the guys will correct me where I'm wrong) is that the oem gm converter lock up clutch is to thin, the factor tranny tune locks and unlocks is all the time, like between every gear or so. it wears out the clutch and trashes the whole tranny.

so you really need a better than gm one, with a thicker clutch disk, and it can't hurt to have it tuned not to lock and unlock non stop.

there's a few other weak points inside the trannys, what they are seems to depend on the year, with a bunch of names of things I don't understand lol, it seems gm fixed a few things along the run.

so instead of a stock rebuild, you can actually get a nicely upgraded tranny that will last longer than 150k. the oem seem to all lunch themselves between 130k-170k from what I see on the boards, but a few guys will catch them early. upgrade the torque converter before the tranny goes, and they last much longer.

that being said. if it was mine, unless I personally knew the guy rebuilding my tranny would do all those things nick talks about, I wouldn't trust that they did any of the mods and upgrades nick recommends in his threads to bullet proof them. at that point, I'm not sure which way I'd go.

but for my money on my own truck since I came replace it myself, I'd probably look for a low mileage junk yard unit, put in a upgraded converter and cross my. fingers it lasts.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
search for his tranny thread, lots of good rebuild info, and his YouTube has good tear down videos. get an idea what's going on with these trannys.

from my causal following along since I don't currently own a 6L anything.(the guys will correct me where I'm wrong) is that the oem gm converter lock up clutch is to thin, the factor tranny tune locks and unlocks is all the time, like between every gear or so. it wears out the clutch and trashes the whole tranny.
Absolutely right. Factory jmbx converters are the number one reason those transmissions come in for overhaul. Converter clutch is a woven style clutch that's .020-.025" thick and fails/burns up if you look at it funny. The constant working of that clutch excerbates the problem (not to mention wearing/worn TCC regulator, tcc limit and tcc control valves (valve body and pump) adding insult to injury. All that stuff has to be corrected on overhaul....

My converter builder remans the TCs using a .070" thick Borg Warner high energy clutch. Billet covers are also recommended.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
You’re ahead of the game compared to most by shopping around. I just posted a response to a similar sitch with a guy having issues on his Burb. click to expand the post.

I got 170k miles out of my 09 AWD trans with dirty fluid. It flat out failed before it gave any indication it was going into full blown DOA 3rd gear emergency breakdown mode at 70 on the highway.

With RWD your labor is going to be substantially less to have it replaced when that time comes. Start shopping for a rebuild or reman / exchange now so when it does happen it’s just a bummer vs a full blown catastrophe.

The going rate is $4-$5k for the job. The good news is there are some freebees you can get out of it since you know it’s down the road. Shop rock auto for motor mounts, oil pressure sensor and since they’re so inexpensive, front & rear Poly sway bar bushing kit.

With the truck up and apart those normally pricey labor jobs that are also due (at 100k mi) can be serviced before they expire and bite you just around the corner. The sway bar bushings are mostly to get the unnoticed slop out of your drivetrain.

Once R/A gives you the part # and pricing, you’ll have time to shop Amazon too. I did this when my trans was being rebuilt on our AWD and got about $2.5k savings from self sourcing OEM parts and the free labor. Only use OEM parts! Amazon is full of counterfeit “priced too good to be true” parts. Be careful. Being prepared will immediately reward you in your driving experience, bank account and down the road even more. Talk to a shop about having them rebuild one of their own cores for you after tax refund time. It’ll be a painless plug n play job with a set price.

linny1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I look through the thread but I didn't see where you said that you may have checked the fluid. Did you check the fluid level at all?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts