Shudder at light throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree sounds like lock up converter shudder. I had this in a 700R4 unit and just unplugged it. Not sure how it can be bypassed or not in these newer transmissions. If you add extra transmission cooling it should help keep the temps down disabling the lockup feature.

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought it 2 months ago... It already had a trans cooler in it....maybe wrong transmission fluid? I have tried 92 ethanol free octane. But I'll try it again to see if it still shudders.

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree sounds like lock up converter shudder. I had this in a 700R4 unit and just unplugged it. Not sure how it can be bypassed or not in these newer transmissions. If you add extra transmission cooling it should help keep the temps down disabling the lockup feature.
If there is a fuse I can pull.... I'll do it to stop the shudder....

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there is a fuse I can pull.... I'll do it to stop the shudder....

I hear ya bro and I understand your frustration. I am old school and new to these era of trucks and their quirks so it is a learning process for me as well.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW my trans temp never gets that high, always under 180. This shudder happens when tranny is cool. It seems to happen around 2nd -6th gear with light pressure on gas around 1500-2500 rpm (cruising speeds).

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might be onto something. My cruise control hasn't worked since I owned my truck and the common issue is that brake switch that attaches to brake pedal. I question why issue wasnt always there but maybe truck is telling me to change it. Your Cruise control working?

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, last night I went to a car wash where you spray wash your car with a high pressure washer and and sprayed brake cleaner to all calipers and discs and pressure washed them clean. Then today, I went underneath and checked the emergency brake line at the rear of the Tahoe and it looked like it was hung up and really tight so I loosen It Up by wiggling it and loosened it up and got it free I also check the connection to the PCM I believe is back there underneath the spare tire and sprayed a whole bunch of electrical cleaner and checked if the wiring harness to the PCM was all the way in and it was loose so I made sure it was nice and snug and since I was down there I sprayed every electrical connector clean cuz they all were really dirty I drove it and wow what a difference with like throttle it was smooth all the way through. Another thing I did was check the drive shaft the front drive shaft kind of wiggled so I turned it until it I couldn't move it up and down and then I put a hose clamp on the rear drive shaft kind of like adding a weight to it, I felt around and it felt like a low spot so that's where I put the hose clamp the screw was like on the low spot side if you can imagine that, but anyway whatever I did it seems like the Tahoe was running smooth even at the highest temperature at 180 degrees. I'll drive it some more and fill you in if it's not doing the shutter anymore. The main thing I was trying to accomplish was making sure that the brake calipers and the emergency brake was not binding or holding up the Tahoe on light acceleration. Because those emergency brake lines can get rusty, and on light acceleration I'm thinking any binding on the brake could be fighting the light acceleration and even Tc clutches and make the vehicle shudder. So far is pretty smooth even on a warm day and transmission temperature at 180 degrees where the normal shudder would start at around 155 degrees on transmission temp on up. So check your e brake lines, there are 2(left and right rear) and electrical connections underneath.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14