Shake it up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Massfloefi

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to delete reply.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Not a stupid question. No I have not yet but I would think the shaking would be present at all times if it was a bent rim.

It seems like there is no damping of the shocks over these types of road imperfections. A chop in the road, a large pothole or a highway traverse causes a vibration/shimmy/shake that starts in the front suspension and seems to travel through the chassis and the cabin. There has been a reduction during straight line travel and I believe lower speed sweeping turns after the idler arm bracket was changed.

Mechanic looked it over and couldn't figure it out. Guys were honest and admitted to not being suspension experts. They did indicate that pushing down ******* the front end felt like the shocks had no give. They suggested maybe trying to run my tire at a lower psi (I run stock 30) and removing the front jouncers to see if there was some kind of improvement.

I have removed the front jouncers which I believe provided a slightly smoother ride. There has been no negative affects in hard braking or turning with them remove. I know I should probably put them back on and I will. I am guessing at this point. Maybe my shocks are having a travel issue?
I think 30 psi is a bit too low. I think recommended tire pressure is a min of 32.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have 20" wheels stock. They are updated sierra all terrains but my original wheel size was 20" which is 30 psi via the door.

Are you familiar with bad wheel bearings? I left some videos on the previous page.
I replaced my driver side about 2 1/2 yrs ago. It was making a grinding/groaning sound, and I actually felt it in the steering wheel.

OP
OP
Massfloefi

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my driver side about 2 1/2 yrs ago. It was making a grinding/groaning sound, and I actually felt it in the steering wheel.

Unfortunately my issue isn't so text book if they are indeed the bearings.

Tahbro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unfortunately my issue isn't so text book if they are indeed the bearings.
i would have said wheel bearing a while ago but in the original post you ruled them out. that would make sense to me.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see anywhere what mileage you have on it but you could replace the front hubs with some Timkens just as preventive maintenance if it's anywhere near 150k. I saw at one point you mentioned you heard noise when spinning one of the front wheels. That would at least rule them out and they'll need replacing soon regardless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas