Shake it up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Vehicle is a 2005 Gmc Yukon XL Denali. The issue is the interior cabin vibration when going over choppy roadways. No problem on smooth roads. Vibration amplified at highway speeds when hitting transverse bumps and other road imperfections. Basically all of Nyc and the occasional trips to NJ. Many new parts listed below. I even changed the shocks twice front/rear. With the Bilstein 4600hd's installed it was worse. Newer OE wheels and tires. Condition was the same with old wheels and tires. Very little steering wheel shake and only when the cabin vibration is extreme so I have ruled out intermediate shaft and bearing even though I do think they will need to be replaced in the future. I can find no play in wheel bearings, tie rods and no visual problems with cv joints. Plenty of room for torsion bar adjustment. The truck has also been aligned three times since I have purchased it. Thoughts?

P.s was converted to conventional shocks/springs.

Moog Problem Solver:
Front upper/lower control arms

Moog:
Rear upper/lower control arms
Front/rear sway bar bushings
Rear springs

Ac Delco:
Oe premium monotube shocks
Front/rear sway bar links

Dorman:
Panhard Bar

GM:
Z71 front jouncers

Previous owner:

Mevotech:
Idler arm
Pitman arm

OP
OP
Massfloefi

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After more and more research I think I have to take a harder look at the pitman, idler arm and bracket even though they were changed 6k ago by previous owner.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about all this, but you may check your body mounts. Maybe one rotted and is causing uneven vibration distribution around.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you check and replace the swaybar endlinks when you did the bushings?

OP
OP
Massfloefi

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about all this, but you may check your body mounts. Maybe one rotted and is causing uneven vibration distribution around.

I found one body mount by the drivers door that isn’t seated fully in the cup. None of bushings look rotted but the metal bases are a mess.

OP
OP
Massfloefi

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found clicking and play in the idler arm and or bracket. Raised the vehicle and rocked the tire back and forth at 3 - 9. I also found a noise while spinning the drivers side tire. Couldn’t tell it it was a bad bearing or brake pad rubbing. Not the typical roaring sound I’ve heard from videos. Truck is pulling to the right side so I’ll have to get it aligned again. Still these don’t seem to be issues that would cause this kind of shimmy/shaking. At least not from the definitions behind these parts being faulty.

Had a honest mechanic take a ride with me Saturday. Thinks it is odd. He knows I’ve changed the shocks twice but was adimate about checking them because it feels like the shocks aren’t dampening these types of road imperfections. Leaving it with him tomorrow.