Running Slightly Hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramiro0727

Reaction score
Hello I have a 2011 Chevy Tahoe. I replaced the water pump, radiator hoses and thermostat. A few days after changing these parts. I noticiced that the Tahoe is running a little warm. I connected my scanner and noticed that the coolant temp was around 223-229 degrees. The fans are running on low speed. On what temp shoud the fans run on high speed? The gauge on the dash cluster the needle is way passed the 210 mark. What else can I check to see why my Tahoe is running slight hot.

Thanks,
Ramiro

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long does it take before this happens? What is the temperature difference between upper and lower hoses?

It's possible you have a thermostat that isn't opening correctly, reducing the flow rate.

Or:

If it takes a little while for this to appear, then you may have a thermostat that isn't closing, which in turn allows the coolant to circulate too fast. This doesn't allow for proper heat rejection and will eventually lead to hotter running/over heating scenario.

OP
OP
R

Ramiro0727

Reaction score
How long does it take before this happens? What is the temperature difference between upper and lower hoses?

It's possible you have a thermostat that isn't opening correctly, reducing the flow rate.

Or:

If it takes a little while for this to appear, then you may have a thermostat that isn't closing, which in turn allows the coolant to circulate too fast. This doesn't allow for proper heat rejection and will eventually lead to hotter running/over heating scenario.
Brian,

My.wife was running errands yesterday here in town. And she noticed that once it got to operating temp. The temp continued to go past the 210 mark on the gauge. It would go about a 1/4 past the 210 mark. Bit would never go past that. I was thinking about replacing the thermostat again. I wonder why the fans are not running on high speed if it's running hot.

Ramiro

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would verify the hoses are on correctly front one goes to reservoir. If the fans do not run on high then I would suspect the temp sensor. I am sure there is way to ohm it out just don't have that info handy
1000003779.jpg

OP
OP
R

Ramiro0727

Reaction score
I would verify the hoses are on correctly front one goes to reservoir. If the fans do not run on high then I would suspect the temp sensor. I am sure there is way to ohm it out just don't have that info handy
View attachment 410766
Doubeleive those hoses are in correct locations. I replaced those hoses last weekend. I will take a look at the temp sensor also. I look at the fan relays as well. Need to get.this figured. Going out of town next weekend. I don't want ot to over heat while going over the Grapevine.

Ramiro

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went thru 2 very high dollor TStats for my Drag/Drive car....
They weren't "bad"... just way off of what temp they were supposed to be

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Burping a Jeep 4.0 straight 6 motor was a whole ritual and a half but when I put my Tahoe back together after the AFM delete I just let it come up to temp with the heater blasting and there was no drama to it. About a week later I topped the coolant off and that was the end of it.

OP
OP
R

Ramiro0727

Reaction score
Thermostat bad
or still have air in cooling system
look up burping an LS engine
Foggy,

I replaced the thermostat. The one we had replaced 2 weeks prior was not opening all the way. We could drive around for 30 minutes and I could squeeze the top radiator top hose. where i could get the inside diameter of the radiator hose to touch eachother as I squeezed it. So far so got with the new thermostat. We added the coolant thru the top radiator hose. Trying to avoid air in the cooloing system.

Ramiro

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Foggy,

I replaced the thermostat. The one we had replaced 2 weeks prior was not opening all the way. We could drive around for 30 minutes and I could squeeze the top radiator top hose. where i could get the inside diameter of the radiator hose to touch eachother as I squeezed it. So far so got with the new thermostat. We added the coolant thru the top radiator hose. Trying to avoid air in the cooloing system.

Ramiro
I still think you have a thermostat problem. No need to add coolant through the top hose - adding it to the recovery tank is sufficient. I have also never had problems getting the air out of my cooling system on one of these trucks. As long as its sitting level or even slightly nose high, there shouldn't be a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019