Transmission getting Hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the 07-14 runs transmission line to radiator, then to the aux cooler if equipped.

I have a 2012, 209k miles, no aux cooler yet, and it seems to get right up around 200degF as well.
Doesn't take 1.5 hrs to get there either!.. New radiator, fresh fluid.
I might try reducing or zeroing the slip in tune. I've already removed TCC lock in gears 1-3.

@NickTransmissions any general estimates on different shift times for new vs. worn vs. very worn?

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6L80/90 were designed for operating temperatures of 190-200°F.

200°F is not necessarily "overheating." The "trans hot idle engine" warning comes on a little over 260°F. I forget if it's 262° or 265°.

100° over ambient is typical if everything is functioning properly, so you can expect to reach 200° in normal driving in warmer weather.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the 07-14 runs transmission line to radiator, then to the aux cooler if equipped.

I have a 2012, 209k miles, no aux cooler yet, and it seems to get right up around 200degF as well.
I might try reducing or zeroing the slip in tune. I've already removed TCC lock in gears 1-3.

@NickTransmissions any general estimates on different shift times for new vs. worn vs. very worn?
A second or less is what I typically see in a healthy transmission, anything more than 2 sec prob indicates wear.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I know something is wrong with it, is the digital temp gauge had reached over 200°.
My 07 Denali w/6L80 and factory installed medium duty (rpo KNP) cooler always runs 80-100* over ambient. If its 110* outside tranny runs 190-210*. This is normal and Dexron6 can handle it. When I have any question(s) about atf I call Tom Johnson at JG Lubricant Services. He's a retired GM/Allison fluid engineer. I also use their services for my used atf analysis.
https://jglubricantservices.com/

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'd add the factory trans cooler. All in it was like $300 with new trans lines everything bolts right up. Just order the knp transmission lines.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd add the factory trans cooler. All in it was like $300 with new trans lines everything bolts right up. Just order the knp transmission lines.
Purchased, just not installed yet!

Certainly can't be taking 2 seconds to shift.. Will have have to log shift times..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts