New radiator is running colder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the thermostat and the temperature only rose about one line on the gauge.
Well you have to start the engine... :)

No, only kidding. ;)

I would check with hand if the hoses and cooler gets warm. If check your temperatur sensor. If not check the thermostat. Even with a wrong cooler with missing orifice the engine should reach operation temperature after 10 Miles.

Probably you have a dull thermostat. Swapp with the old one, if still available.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same type of thing when I installed a factory aux trans cooler. Trans temp stays around 160 now before it was 180-200 when towing. I wonder if you're engine is really running that cold on a code reader machine.
I don't think that you can compare transmission temp with engine temp. ;)

And a code reader helps probably not really, because the LS engine has, different to all other engines i know, only one temperature sensor for ECM and gauge.

OP
OP
D

David Kriss

Reaction score
Slightly below the mark 210 is correct running temp on the gauge for these trucks. The factory radiator has a valve installed in the top hose that feeds coolant back to surge reservoir that keeps too much coolant from flowing back into the reservoir. A lot of aftermarket radiators, especially the newer aluminum style ones do not have this valve installed so too much coolant flows freely back into the reservoir which causes the truck to not get up to proper running temp. This is more than likely your issue. Pull the hose from the top that runs to the surge reservoir and shine a flashlight over it to verify if there’s a valve installed in it or not. If it doesn’t have one than that’s probably your issue.
Since my garbage company wouldn't take the old radiator, I still have it. I looked in both large hose connectors and neither has a restrictor. They allow full flow. Shouldn't the thermostat be controlling the temperature?

OP
OP
D

David Kriss

Reaction score
Well you have to start the engine... :)

No, only kidding. ;)

I would check with hand if the hoses and cooler gets warm. If check your temperatur sensor. If not check the thermostat. Even with a wrong cooler with missing orifice the engine should reach operation temperature after 10 Miles.

Probably you have a dull thermostat. Swapp with the old one, if still available.
The old thermostat and the new one didn't have much difference. One small line on the gauge. I checked the original radiator and it didn't have any kind of orifice. The hose connectors were wide open.

OP
OP
D

David Kriss

Reaction score
Slightly below the mark 210 is correct running temp on the gauge for these trucks. The factory radiator has a valve installed in the top hose that feeds coolant back to surge reservoir that keeps too much coolant from flowing back into the reservoir. A lot of aftermarket radiators, especially the newer aluminum style ones do not have this valve installed so too much coolant flows freely back into the reservoir which causes the truck to not get up to proper running temp. This is more than likely your issue. Pull the hose from the top that runs to the surge reservoir and shine a flashlight over it to verify if there’s a valve installed in it or not. If i

Did you check the connector from the temperature sensor?
I did not. My wife is out of town with the truck. I'll check it when she gets back.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since my garbage company wouldn't take the old radiator, I still have it. I looked in both large hose connectors and neither has a restrictor. They allow full flow. Shouldn't the thermostat be controlling the temperature?
Look in the tiny fitting hole. The one that had the small hose going to the overflow tank. There is a restriction about 2mm in there. If there is not, you can put a .45acp casing in the little hose and hold it in place with a small hose clamp. That is what I had to do to get my Silverado to get to temp after a generic radiator was installed.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not. My wife is out of town with the truck. I'll check it when she gets back.
I would do that first. I searched my ass wound to find the problem and at least it was corrosion in the connector of the temperature sensor, which leads into a to low displayed temperature

see:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019