New radiator is running colder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This seems to imply that one can use this supplemental hose clamp to 'calibrate' the temperature at which one would prefer their truck to operate ... ?
It can let you know if any restriction of the hose makes a temp difference. How you use it after that is up to you.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't assume that the cluster gauge is linear or absolutely accurate -- it's designed to sit about in the middle of the gauge when the temp is normal, but the readings aren't absolute.

This is a well-documented issue with some aftermarket radiators. Lack of the restriction orifice in the fitting for the small return hose (to the surge tank) is common, and can cause over-cooling.

First of all, verify the coolant temp with a scanner reading live data.

Secondly, if it's running too cold, see this link and view the thread that's embedded in that post.

Last edited:

GRAYGEORGE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On the hose which runs from the top of the radiator to the overflow tank needs a nozzle in it to slow the flow. You can see the coolant flowing thru the tank. I used a 1/4 inch plastic cap off of a roll of copper tubing, drill a 3/32 hole in it. The flow to the overflow tank slowed down and temperature returned to normal.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
On the hose which runs from the top of the radiator to the overflow tank needs a nozzle in it to slow the flow. You can see the coolant flowing thru the tank. I used a 1/4 inch plastic cap off of a roll of copper tubing, drill a 3/32 hole in it. The flow to the overflow tank slowed down and temperature returned to normal.
Same results as if you used a small hose clamp that you could adjust as needed to make the flow in the hose smaller.

OP
OP
D

David Kriss

Reaction score
Something lost in translation there my friend....

Butt injury!!

I would do that first. I searched my ass wound to find the problem and at least it was corrosion in the connector of the temperature sensor, which leads into a to low displayed temperature

see:
I finally had a chance to replace the temperature sensor. There was no corrosion on the connecters. I put in a new Duralast Gold sensor. The problem is solved. Either it was a coincidence that the old one failed at the same time or loosing all of the coolant over a minute or two took it out. Either way, it was a cheap and easy fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts