Transmission getting Hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoTx92

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a 2007 yukon xl denali. It has the 6L80 Trans in it. At first my Motor and trans were getting hot. Took the bumper off and power washed the debris out of the radiators. (I was careful not to damage the fins) My engine is now fine but my trans still overheats. It will slowly (over an hour and a half) reach over 200. It only overheats while operating. The temp will cool off once I park it and keep it running. Kinda think it could be a thermostat issue of some kind but I'm not the greatest mechanically inclined. I know enough but not all. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
-Josh-

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, probably thermostat sticking.

Look into doing the bypass. Seems pretty straightforward and should not take long to do it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, probably thermostat sticking.

Look into doing the bypass. Seems pretty straightforward and should not take long to do it.
there is no thermostat on the gmt900 transmissions

OP, you can add a larger trans cooler like a tru-cool, although 200deg is not terrible it's not where many us like it either.
I added a deep transmission pan and tru cool and temps are much better now, typical 135 winter and 160-180 summer.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a 2007 yukon xl denali. It has the 6L80 Trans in it. At first my Motor and trans were getting hot. Took the bumper off and power washed the debris out of the radiators. (I was careful not to damage the fins) My engine is now fine but my trans still overheats. It will slowly (over an hour and a half) reach over 200. It only overheats while operating. The temp will cool off once I park it and keep it running. Kinda think it could be a thermostat issue of some kind but I'm not the greatest mechanically inclined. I know enough but not all. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
-Josh-
How many miles on it? How does the fluid look and smell? Have you flushed the cooler(s) and lines?

If your clutch packs may be starting to wear to the point they require more time to reach full apply and "slip" more than healthy frictions. You wont feel/observe this slip, hence the quotes but it will show up as slightly elevated shift times on a bidirectional scanner.

This also applies to the torque converter (duty cycle/efficiency) and the JMBX converters are all pieces of garbage, mostly due to the poorly/under designed converter clutch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CoTx92

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How many miles on it? How does the fluid look and smell? Have you flushed the cooler(s) and lines?

If your clutch packs may be starting to wear to the point they require more time to reach full apply and "slip" more than healthy frictions. You wont feel/observe this slip, hence the quotes but it will show up as slightly elevated shift times on a bidirectional scanner.

This also applies to the torque converter (duty cycle/efficiency) and the TMBX converters are all pieces of garbage, mostly due to the poorly/under designed converter clutch.
It's got right around 180k, fluid looks super clean no odor or hot smell coming from the fluid or truck. I have not flushed the cooler or the lines. I haven't felt anything while driving it, not any major slips anyways. The only reason I know something is wrong with it, is the digital temp gauge had reached over 200°.

I have thought about doing the bypass to the trans thermostat.. but I just looked and I don't have the same set up as the bypass for the 6L80s in the newer 2014s and up.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's got right around 180k, fluid looks super clean no odor or hot smell coming from the fluid or truck. I have not flushed the cooler or the lines. I haven't felt anything while driving it, not any major slips anyways. The only reason I know something is wrong with it, is the digital temp gauge had reached over 200°.

I have thought about doing the bypass to the trans thermostat.. but I just looked and I don't have the same set up as the bypass for the 6L80s in the newer 2014s and up.
I'd start w/flushing the cooler or lines then look for potential sources of heat (missing exhaust shielding, etc). Another possibility is the torque converter clutch beginning to wear and slip, causing heat to build within the unit while you're in gear...The torque converter clutch is active and functioning in gears 2-6 and so it's constantly being commanded on and off. Over time, this wears the clutch and it begins to slip.

One additional vulnerability is a sub-system within the transmission called the compensator feed circuit. This consists of the compensator feed reg valve, clutch select valves, pump (stator bushing), turbine shaft sealing ring, and all of your 'piston dams' - they all work together to release clutches when a given apply circuit is commanded off as well as manage shift feel and timing...If parts like the bushing(s), turbine shaft sealing ring and/or piston dams get worn, they're not as efficient thus require more time/duration to do their jobs...that time builds heat which shows up in the form of elevated trans temps...

Not saying you should panic but at 180k you're prob in the last 5-10% of that thing's lifespan, especially given its a pre-2012 unit...Much of what's in there now, including the drum, pump stator, 1-2-3-4 piston, parking rod assembly, etc will need to be updated on overhaul.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score

Thanks
-Josh-
I also run a tru cool trans cooler my temps would stay around 200-208 give or take
Now they stay around the 160-175 range
I did the cooler just as a bad aid to try and keep from burning up my trans on long distance trips which I make quite often.
No regrets and super easy install

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also run a tru cool trans cooler my temps would stay around 200-208 give or take
Now they stay around the 160-175 range
I did the cooler just as a bad aid to try and keep from burning up my trans on long distance trips which I make quite often.
No regrets and super easy install
I added the stock trans cooler to mine keeps it about 20 degrees cooler than stock. My trans lines were also leaking at the rubber part before that so who knows

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks
-Josh-
Any update on this Josh? I was away when you first posted and missed it. My first thought was that the cooler and or lines are getting clogged up, restricting flow which will increase the temperature. In summer that temp is not unusual in stop and go driving.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the cooler lines on this year run to the radiator tank like the older models?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts