2005 Tahoe running hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trucker7575

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Tahoe Z71 5.3 that’s been running hot for a while now (around 210-220). When it reaches a certain temp, the fans kick in and it drops back down to about 200-210 but NEVER drops below 200. Always smelling antifreeze when the windows are open. Never fully overheated to the point of having a breakdown but just checking to see if anyone else is having this problem. I do a yearly flush and I use Dexcool antifreeze. I don’t have any leaks, my water pump and thermostat are about 3 years old (AC Delco) and my fluid is always at the operating range.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly water water pump leaking in the rear if you are smelling coolant outside. It's hard to see. Try an inspection mirror down in there. My 06 Suburban had this. I replaced the gaskets thinking it was them, and leak got worse. Finally saw the leak with a mirror and replaced the water pump.

Why do you annual coolant replacement? I replace mine around average 5-6 years and like 75,000 miles, usually because something like a pump, hose, etc. needs replacement. I think it's good for 100,000 miles and maybe 10 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz