Reverse to Drive/Drive to Reverse Clunk ?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00tahoe86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd be interested in what you find out. Mine is doing the exact same thing except mine mainly onky does it when put in reverse on ocassion it will when put it in drive. was told it's a known issue and has to do with the yoke and the temp fix is to pack it full of grease. I don' believe that though

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from that newest video where the clunk is coming from, but it looks to me like it's not the u-joints. There's slack in the drivetrain somewhere though, whether it's a yoke spline or the transfer case or something else. I'd does sound like it could be a yoke though. Probably just annoying , might not be causing any damage. Has it stayed the same for a long time or is it getting worse? I'd be inclined to remove the u-joint clamps at the front and rear differentials and move the drive shafts back and forth by hand to see if the play is in the yokes. Make sure to mark the clamps so they go back exactly how they were or they might break later, or use new ones.

OP
OP
J

Jeri99

Reaction score
It’s been like this for a while...and hasn’t gotten progressively worst it’s remained the same for the most part...I hope it’s the yoke spline and not the transfer case or something worse...this will be my project this weekend...

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have same issue. My truck has a audible metal on metal clunk when I go from drive to reverse. My truck is at 230,000 miles. I bought it around 223,000 miles. It's had the noise since I bought it with 223k miles. I am assuming the play is in the transfer case.

The rear wheel driveshaft seems to be rock solid. I cannot wiggle it by hand: front to back, or spin. I cannot wiggle the U-Joints by hand or with a crow bar. I can however, seem to push the transfer case up and down a slight bit by pushing up on the drive shaft at the transfer case output to rear wheels. I cannot determine if the play is internal to the transfer case or a warn mount. I don't seem to see the transfer case moving so suspect it's internal to the case.

The front driveshaft seems to have quite a bit of play. First, I cannot find any play in the u-joints. I cannot find play in the input to the front diff. However, I can spin the driveshaft a few degrees by hand with ease. Then I can take the output shaft on the transfer case to the front wheels and wiggle it up and down or side to side.

I'm assuming there's bad bearings and possibly more? I'm not too familiar with these or how to rebuild them. I used my go-pro to diagnose w/ wifi to view on my cell phone as I shifted from drive to reverse. Have some clips I could post but think I found the play. Possibly this post is the same issue? Not sure if it will cause issue if I leave as is.

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fluid isn’t a bad place to start. I changed mine recently and it made quite a difference. It called for synthetic 75-W90 and the additive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts