2013 Escalade to 2013 CTS V steering wheel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's true, they will have an aneurysm over anything not factory, and even probably factory stuff, so whatever haha! My switch should be coming in tomorrow so sometime this week I should be able to get it modified and test with my truck.

If its cast Aluminum maybe take the TIG to it and fill it in enough for smaller diameter spline to be cut, but first I will see if there is someone local that can broach the splines in, otherwise its probably just cut and panel bond.
Nice! Looking forward to hearing the results!

D1200

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got the switch, mapped it out, 2 pins are LED backlight power and ground and they have their own limiting resistors, and a single reverse polarity protection diode. Other 3 are controls, the power in, the BCM signal, and the other goes to the traction control button on the left side switch according to the diagram, but then that goes to the BCM as well. Resistors all are within a few ohms of the ones listed on the diagram. The board is a 2 layer board, surface mount resistors, and the buttons are the cheap one built right onto the board with rubber dome switches on top with a conductive pad attached to bridge the contacts, so could down the line make a custom board, same shape, those button pads (and LEDs probably) in the same places, and just design a circuit with the truck controls in mind. Pads look like they are gold plated but board houses should be able to do that. Will take a look after dinner, but I can probably change the resistors on the board to ones for the truck and have some, maybe even full functionality for the buttons this switch has, so that will be the next thing is desolder the board and solder in other resistors. The way this factory board is setup, the next and previous arrows buttons I think will have to be backward for the test, which is why a custom board will be the final/cleaniest solution.

Attachments

• 422961606_2063953477301957_2650983882188155525_n.jpg
    422961606_2063953477301957_2650983882188155525_n.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 4
  • 420190623_914300043277882_8242514952957950763_n.jpg
    420190623_914300043277882_8242514952957950763_n.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the switch, mapped it out, 2 pins are LED backlight power and ground and they have their own limiting resistors, and a single reverse polarity protection diode. Other 3 are controls, the power in, the BCM signal, and the other goes to the traction control button on the left side switch according to the diagram, but then that goes to the BCM as well. Resistors all are within a few ohms of the ones listed on the diagram. The board is a 2 layer board, surface mount resistors, and the buttons are the cheap one built right onto the board with rubber dome switches on top with a conductive pad attached to bridge the contacts, so could down the line make a custom board, same shape, those button pads (and LEDs probably) in the same places, and just design a circuit with the truck controls in mind. Pads look like they are gold plated but board houses should be able to do that. Will take a look after dinner, but I can probably change the resistors on the board to ones for the truck and have some, maybe even full functionality for the buttons this switch has, so that will be the next thing is desolder the board and solder in other resistors. The way this factory board is setup, the next and previous arrows buttons I think will have to be backward for the test, which is why a custom board will be the final/cleaniest solution.
Nice work! Those look a lot less complicated than the truck boards.

D1200

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice work! Those look a lot less complicated than the truck boards.
I got the CTS-V switch modified and tested, I forgot I had yearly mine refresher course so I have been a bit busy, but it works as expected! All buttons function, and are in the correct order, which was odd I thought the next and previous sing buttons were going to be reversed but guess I made a mistake in my head. Still would need a small adapter cable to change plug styles. I have a video of it working with the 3rd gen. Can't seem to figure out how to upload to this forum though.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the CTS-V switch modified and tested, I forgot I had yearly mine refresher course so I have been a bit busy, but it works as expected! All buttons function, and are in the correct order, which was odd I thought the next and previous sing buttons were going to be reversed but guess I made a mistake in my head. Still would need a small adapter cable to change plug styles. I have a video of it working with the 3rd gen. Can't seem to figure out how to upload to this forum though.
Thats so exciting! Nice work!

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to figure out wheel mounting now. Going to do some research on the exact spline dimensions, really need that.
it’s hard to find anything other than racing adapters. Donor truck wheels are pretty inexpensive on eBay

D1200

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it’s hard to find anything other than racing adapters. Donor truck wheels are pretty inexpensive on eBay
I am almost hoping that the column might be able to have the shaft pulled out and a shaft from a CTS-V, 4th/5thGen Escalade, etc, slid in with the other spline style, that would open up a world of wheels. I looked at a ton of wheels, even a lone Lyriq wheel on eBay, almost all are that newer style, but still hoping at least some of those 4th gen Escalade wheels fit, that is at least something.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am almost hoping that the column might be able to have the shaft pulled out and a shaft from a CTS-V, 4th/5thGen Escalade, etc, slid in with the other spline style, that would open up a world of wheels. I looked at a ton of wheels, even a lone Lyriq wheel on eBay, almost all are that newer style, but still hoping at least some of those 4th gen Escalade wheels fit, that is at least something.
That sounds like a good idea, build a franken-column! Im going to start looking for a couple columns on eBay to play with in the shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo