Reverse to Drive/Drive to Reverse Clunk ?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Now your mind is wondering and bad thoughts are getting in there. Do the basics. We are all telling you to inspect the u-joints and if need be drop the drive shaft for closer inspection. Can't get much simpler than that. Eliminate the most common noise problem, driveshaft u-joints, and then go from there.

OP
OP
J

Jeri99

Reaction score
Thank you fellas for the valuable advice...although I won’t be able to get a look at what’s doing underneath till next weekend...here’s a video of my actual vehicle

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now YOUR video sounds like worn out ujoints. There isnt the metallic high pitch clanking like the other videos you posted. You have the lower pitch clunk instead. Id yank your driveshaft down and replace both ujoints. They are cheap enough and more than likely your OEM non greasable are still there. Dont replace with anything other than greasable ujoints and grease them religiously!

Skipper50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently had a similar issue with my '05 Yukon XL/SLT. Seems that I have an Aluminum shaft. Front U was very worn and rear less so. Local mechanic refereed me to a specialty shop rather than trying to remove the worn joint from the AL housing and screwing it up. Shop was All-American Enterprise, Baycliff, TX. Good work, fast, reasonable. Replaced worn joints with Spicer parts.
Also seems that parts removed were not factory. At 194,000 miles I'm curious if this is a normal wear pattern or if I might have some other issue.
Either way things are good for now. Just added 700+ miles to the odometer. No vibrations and no clunky noises when shifting between D and R.

dougo

Reaction score
My 2006 (with 148000 rear diff fluid changed at 50k and 100k) I had a mild clunked for a while i checked every thing nurmous times with no luck, Recienly i started to hear a hum my local mechanic told me it was most likly the differental carrier bearings. He advised me its a common issue , He was right my right bearing was failing after replacing the bearings the hum was gone and well as the clunk. My sugestion if it not the drive shaft, drain the differental in a flat pan if their is any shimmer in the oil the bearings are going,
My clunk souned the same as the youtube above

OP
OP
J

Jeri99

Reaction score
Gentlemen I truly appreciate you all sharing your experiences and suggestions. I'll get on it this weekend and report back my findings.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, yea!
Hey man, its the simple easy things we can forget ....if he pulls the driveshaft and the truck is even a tiny grade, without setting the ebrake or chocks it has nothing to stop it from hitting something or worse running over himself or someone else. Just being safe dude.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Galante, I completely agree. I think it was smart and great that you reminded him/her of the basics. Too many times it is overlooked and someone gets hurt. That's why I hate the typed word sometimes when trying to convey a point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019