2013 Escalade to 2013 CTS V steering wheel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D1200

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No the buttons are integrated into a circuit board along with their respective resistors. From all the research I’ve done its plausible but would require a tremendous amount of effort to pull off.
Does the actual 2013 CTS-V wheel fit on the 3rd gen Escalades, physically I mean? Just found this thread while thinking about wheel swaps for an 08, would love a CTS-V wheel with the V emblem on it; I want to LSA the truck at some point. I am more worried about physically fitting the steering column, the switches seem really straight forward. Would scope the voltages off each switch press as a backup check, but those SMD resistors you sent a picture of aren't too hard to desolder and resolder in correct values. That and there look to be plenty of solder points for just wiring something custom into, probably how the paddles on the back would get setup.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the actual 2013 CTS-V wheel fit on the 3rd gen Escalades, physically I mean? Just found this thread while thinking about wheel swaps for an 08, would love a CTS-V wheel with the V emblem on it; I want to LSA the truck at some point. I am more worried about physically fitting the steering column, the switches seem really straight forward. Would scope the voltages off each switch press as a backup check, but those SMD resistors you sent a picture of aren't too hard to desolder and resolder in correct values. That and there look to be plenty of solder points for just wiring something custom into, probably how the paddles on the back would get setup.
The splines vary, and adjusting the depth from the clock spring to the CTS Vs plastic wheel backer could pose a challenge. Using a donor truck wheel as an adapter by cutting out the splined section, drilling, tapping bolts, and epoxying it with 3M panel bond might resolve the fitting issue. However, tackling the electrical aspect appears quite time-consuming. Additionally, I have plans for a summer project for a LSA and believe it would really add a sleek touch to the truck. It’s something I plan to revisiting in the near future.

D1200

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The splines vary, and adjusting the depth from the clock spring to the CTS Vs plastic wheel backer could pose a challenge. Using a donor truck wheel as an adapter by cutting out the splined section, drilling, tapping bolts, and epoxying it with 3M panel bond might resolve the fitting issue. However, tackling the electrical aspect appears quite time-consuming. Additionally, I have plans for a summer project for a LSA and believe it would really add a sleek touch to the truck. It’s something I plan to revisiting in the near future.
A bit of a bummer about the fitment, bolt in is always nice, but I kind of figured that might be the case, the truck looks like 3/4" (or metric equivalent probably)-36 spline, and the CTS-V wheels looked to be larger diameter, and alot more and finer splined. I guess doing some machine work on the it and mounting a hub from a donor truck wheel allows for better fitment though. The switches aren't that scary, its just some resistors. The CTS-V switches look to have more connetions, they may use CANBUS or something, but if connections to switches can be accessed, can bypass whatever its using onboard and run a little board with the resistor array on it to interface the truck. That or if its as simple inside as it looks, its a flat PCB with tactile dome switches on it, and the steering buttons just have plastic legs that press on them. I can design a board for some Snaptron switches, the resistors and a plug for the Escalade fairly easily and have a board house make a few. Biggest concern I see is the traction control button on the wheel might end up being the heated wheel button, if they are heated. Alternately would be wire a set of Escalade donor switch boards into the CTS-V board switches entirely.

D1200

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also neither of those schematics has a heated wheel button shown, unless I am blind lol I just realized one is the CTS-V, it uses the resistor array as well, oops. :emotions33: Now that I realize that, looking at them it should be an easy fix. Most annoying part is the buttons aren't in the same order between the 2, otherwise its just resistor swap, but because the CTS does the 'V' key before the '^' one, and the Escalade is the opposite and they are in a series array of resistors so order is fixed, the resistors would have to be soldered to only one pad and jumpered to the correct one. I might grab a cheap cheap CTS button set and Escalade set and see. Hardest part is not knowing what the boards themselves look like.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also neither of those schematics has a heated wheel button shown, unless I am blind lol I just realized one is the CTS-V, it uses the resistor array as well, oops. :emotions33: Now that I realize that, looking at them it should be an easy fix. Most annoying part is the buttons aren't in the same order between the 2, otherwise its just resistor swap, but because the CTS does the 'V' key before the '^' one, and the Escalade is the opposite and they are in a series array of resistors so order is fixed, the resistors would have to be soldered to only one pad and jumpered to the correct one. I might grab a cheap cheap CTS button set and Escalade set and see. Hardest part is not knowing what the boards themselves look like.
I took pictures of the Escalades ^ but didn’t dig into the CTS’s. I’m pretty sure the V wheel is also heated, the heat for the Escalade comes through the clock spring and i believe it’s on a dedicated circuit. If you have the resources for modifying the boards, I’d be willing to pay for your time if you’re interested. Retro fitting the truck hub to mount to the V wheel seems like a pretty easy mod, I love electrical hacks but I don’t have the resources to pull it off, just a basic weller hobbyist station.

D1200

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took pictures of the Escalades ^ but didn’t dig into the CTS’s. I’m pretty sure the V wheel is also heated, the heat for the Escalade comes through the clock spring and i believe it’s on a dedicated circuit. If you have the resources for modifying the boards, I’d be willing to pay for your time if you’re interested. Retro fitting the truck hub to mount to the V wheel seems like a pretty easy mod, I love electrical hacks but I don’t have the resources to pull it off, just a basic weller hobbyist station.
Well we will know soon, I ordered the right side CTS control, I will be seeing if I can get it to control the audio like the Escalade currently does, I do have Bluetooth installed on this Escalade so mine are functioning. Thought that would be easier than trying to test the cruise buttons. I think the CTS wheels can be heated or not, but seems CTS-V wheels being alcanterra, or faux suede if its not branded alcanterra, seem to not be at all from what I looked at. To be fair, I don't think heat would be as much of a concern with alcanterra materials as traditional leather. My concern still is the truck hub and making sure its well mounted because that would be the first thing people will crap on. I did notice 2015 to 2017 Escalade wheels I think will fit the hub, and looked to be maybe '18-'19 is when they got the finer splined hub like the CTS-V and most other Cadillacs, so I may go that route for my truck but can mod probably most wheels to work electrically. I do really like the look of the 2013 CTS-V wheels though so we will see.

And my background is electrical engineering so I have everything lol Be more than happy to help make a set of switches for you.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well we will know soon, I ordered the right side CTS control, I will be seeing if I can get it to control the audio like the Escalade currently does, I do have Bluetooth installed on this Escalade so mine are functioning. Thought that would be easier than trying to test the cruise buttons. I think the CTS wheels can be heated or not, but seems CTS-V wheels being alcanterra, or faux suede if its not branded alcanterra, seem to not be at all from what I looked at. To be fair, I don't think heat would be as much of a concern with alcanterra materials as traditional leather. My concern still is the truck hub and making sure its well mounted because that would be the first thing people will crap on. I did notice 2015 to 2017 Escalade wheels I think will fit the hub, and looked to be maybe '18-'19 is when they got the finer splined hub like the CTS-V and most other Cadillacs, so I may go that route for my truck but can mod probably most wheels to work electrically. I do really like the look of the 2013 CTS-V wheels though so we will see.

And my background is electrical engineering so I have everything lol Be more than happy to help make a set of switches for you.
After read through your recent posts, I sensed your background in electrical engineering or a closely related field. I'm a mechanical contractor and ME student, so you could say I know enough to be dangerous lol. Discussing the "modded hub" concept with a friend experienced in building drag and custom cars, he found it a bit cringey. However, we both agreed that if the hub is drilled and secured with 3M panel bond, it could be nearly as effective as welding. I also pointed out that generic Grant steering wheels also bolt to a hub. Welding it would be the ultimate solution but finding a shop willing to do it could be challenging. That would be truly amazing if you could help me out with what I’d really appreciate it! I can’t remember if I mentioned in a previous post that I picked up a 2013’ V wheel on eBay. The wheel was leather wrapped like the Escalade’s and the V’s hub sticks out about an inch past the plastic wheel trim. I ended up returning the wheel because some of the buttons were stuck or physically not working.

D1200

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After read through your recent posts, I sensed your background in electrical engineering or a closely related field. I'm a mechanical contractor and ME student, so you could say I know enough to be dangerous lol. Discussing the "modded hub" concept with a friend experienced in building drag and custom cars, he found it a bit cringey. However, we both agreed that if the hub is drilled and secured with 3M panel bond, it could be nearly as effective as welding. I also pointed out that generic Grant steering wheels also bolt to a hub. Welding it would be the ultimate solution but finding a shop willing to do it could be challenging. That would be truly amazing if you could help me out with what I’d really appreciate it! I can’t remember if I mentioned in a previous post that I picked up a 2013’ V wheel on eBay. The wheel was leather wrapped like the Escalade’s and the V’s hub sticks out about an inch past the plastic wheel trim. I ended up returning the wheel because some of the buttons were stuck or physically not working.
See, as soon you bring up modding the hub people get weird haha! Welding would be ideal, would make people happier, but I don't know what material the frame is made of, it looks an awful lot like pot metal TBH I imagine its probably cast aluminum though? They make and sell those quick release wheels and hubs, I can't see bolting, panel bonding or welding being worse, except people will always bring that up. Also insurance in the event of an accident would have an absolute fit I am sure if they caught wind of that. That being said it would be something to look into. Its unfortunate the newer wheels are larger diameter I believe or you could machine the hole larger and broach the splines in for our vehicles. Something to figure out after the buttons, that's my first goal.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See, as soon you bring up modding the hub people get weird haha! Welding would be ideal, would make people happier, but I don't know what material the frame is made of, it looks an awful lot like pot metal TBH I imagine its probably cast aluminum though? They make and sell those quick release wheels and hubs, I can't see bolting, panel bonding or welding being worse, except people will always bring that up. Also insurance in the event of an accident would have an absolute fit I am sure if they caught wind of that. That being said it would be something to look into. Its unfortunate the newer wheels are larger diameter I believe or you could machine the hole larger and broach the splines in for our vehicles. Something to figure out after the buttons, that's my first goal.
lol I’m sure the insurance company would fret over anything other than the OEM wheel so might as well bolt n glue it and live precariously hahah. Panel
Bond was formulated to attach car panels together come on! It’s cast aluminum

D1200

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
lol I’m sure the insurance company would fret over anything other than the OEM wheel so might as well bolt n glue it and live precariously hahah. Panel
Bond was formulated to attach car panels together come on! It’s cast aluminum
That's true, they will have an aneurysm over anything not factory, and even probably factory stuff, so whatever haha! My switch should be coming in tomorrow so sometime this week I should be able to get it modified and test with my truck.

If its cast Aluminum maybe take the TIG to it and fill it in enough for smaller diameter spline to be cut, but first I will see if there is someone local that can broach the splines in, otherwise its probably just cut and panel bond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo