Steering Clunk!!! Not clicking or mild clunk!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isaiahspratt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been searching this issue for a some time now. I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 with 209k, runs excellent. I've been having an issue with a loud clunk upon tight steering at slow speeds and over bumps with tight steering. I've addressed the issue of the the steering column bearing, even replaced the upper and lower intermediate steering shafts with Dorman (unfortunately I found these to be a horrible fit, created more problems, so I reinstalled the stock shafts with better steering results). I took it to a local shop and Les Schwab for inspection, all of the joints and bushings are good... according to them... ball joints... control arms... etc. Everything checks out. I was advised that there may be problems with the shocks, replaced those with Rancho's, from my understanding either Rancho's or Bilstein's were used stock. Problem still persists.
Just to be clear this is a single, loud clunk under tight steering or with bump over tight steering.
I am also aware of the front drive shaft slip-yoke during these years, I don't think that quite explains what this particular clunk is. it is not a "pop" or continuous "clicking" sound, but one solid clunk when the wheels are turned in one direction, maybe a second when turned in the opposite.
Any ideas????

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

May be rubbing at the steering stops. You can see where the knuckle makes contact at the lower arm. Lube there with grease and see what happens.

OP
OP
I

isaiahspratt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

May be rubbing at the steering stops. You can see where the knuckle makes contact at the lower arm. Lube there with grease and see what happens.
Hello Vietvet,

Thanks for the advice... I'll check it out.
By the way, thanks for your service, Though I was never on a ship, I was in the Navy. GM stationed with ACB1 in Coronado. Where In Oregon? I'm in Southern Oregon.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hello Vietvet,

Thanks for the advice... I'll check it out.
By the way, thanks for your service, Though I was never on a ship, I was in the Navy. GM stationed with ACB1 in Coronado. Where In Oregon? I'm in Southern Oregon.
I am in Eugene and hopefully within a year will be in Florence. When I was on the USS Kitty Hawk CV-63, I was stationed out of Coronado Island when we came to home port. I was in as ship's company for 4 years and got out 8 months after the war ended.

Southern Oregon, meaning Medford or points north of there?

Last edited:

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the intermediate steering shaft and the plastic bearing at the bottom of the steering column. That took 90% of the clunk and knock noise out but I still have a light knock|thud noise. It happens when going over bumps slow or even hard braking or accelerating from a stop. I’ve narrowed it down to inside the upper steering column. Guessing it’s a bearing or something. Haven’t wanted to pull the steering wheel and all that crap to see what it is. It’s minor enough I can ignore it most of the time but do notice and feel it still. 2003 burb z71 5.3 4x4

@isaiahspratt Have you checked your front upper shock mounts if the rubber bushings are good and tight so they are sandwiched together? A slightly loose shock can make quite a lot of odd noises.

OP
OP
I

isaiahspratt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am in Eugene and hopefully within a year will be in Florence. When I was on the USS Kitty Hawk CV-63, I was stationed out of Coronado Island when we came to home port. I was in as ship's company for 4 years and got out 8 months after the war ended.

Southern Oregon, meaning Medford or points north of there?
Medford. I moved up here after I got out of the Navy and finished Schooling as a Pianist and Piano Tech.

OP
OP
I

isaiahspratt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced the intermediate steering shaft and the plastic bearing at the bottom of the steering column. That took 90% of the clunk and knock noise out but I still have a light knock|thud noise. It happens when going over bumps slow or even hard braking or accelerating from a stop. I’ve narrowed it down to inside the upper steering column. Guessing it’s a bearing or something. Haven’t wanted to pull the steering wheel and all that crap to see what it is. It’s minor enough I can ignore it most of the time but do notice and feel it still. 2003 burb z71 5.3 4x4

@isaiahspratt Have you checked your front upper shock mounts if the rubber bushings are good and tight so they are sandwiched together? A slightly loose shock can make quite a lot of odd noises.
I did go ahead and replace the shocks, they were done anyway. I also tried replacing the steering shafts and bearing, which the replacement shafts were really loose fitting and made that steering clunk worse, I put the original shafts back on, steering is tight.
Somewhere along the way I dropped and lost one of those little lock nuts that hold the boot to the firewall and went on a big search to find a replacement. Carquest had a whole bag of them, #10-24. That was fun.
Anyway, the loud clunk is still there, it only happens on extremely tight turns at low speed. I think I might check the differential mount bushings next as Fless recommended.

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If noise clicking clunking changes with speed then it’s probably the cv axle. If no change with speed it’s not the cv. You could record and upload a video here or YouTube. May help us narrow it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz