Resonator delete pros and cons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NVNJ

Reaction score
Did you do the muffler as well or only the SLP ?

I just put the SLP resonator delete tips on a 6.2 Escalade - I can hear a very very tiny increase in sound, but I think you'd have to KNOW it was done to know there was a change. Had it just been done, I never would have known.

xeqshnr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with adding a J pipe to the tailpipe?? Its a pretty popular method of eliminating the drone caused by the DOD with the G8 crowd. The right length will eliminate that sound frequency. I understand most are just turning DOD off just though I would mention it for those that want to keep it.

langsbr

Reaction score
Did you do the muffler as well or only the SLP ?

I only did the SLP tip so far - next up will be the Magnaflow muffler - I think it is 12909 for the 6.2. Tony said that gives it a good sound with no drone.

Speck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only did the SLP tip so far - next up will be the Magnaflow muffler - I think it is 12909 for the 6.2. Tony said that gives it a good sound with no drone.

Ok, stupid question, but what is the AFM and DOD referring to? I'm taking a guess that one is regarding Mass Airflow? And if so, how would just the resonator cause change with the air flow sensor? Thank you for any clarifying and sorry for the question...

Joe

NVNJ

Reaction score
The AFM/DOD refers to the 8cyl to 4cyl mode that your truck cycles between. Chances are if you go with an aftermarket muffler/resonator delete combo you will end up hearing when this operation occurs. It's bothersome to some people and not others. Personally, it bothers me so I jumped to the and got a Range AFM disabled to remedy the situation until I can get a BB tune come spring time.

Ok, stupid question, but what is the AFM and DOD referring to? I'm taking a guess that one is regarding Mass Airflow? And if so, how would just the resonator cause change with the air flow sensor? Thank you for any clarifying and sorry for the question...

Joe

langsbr

Reaction score
If you don't have a 2009 at least I think, you don't have AFM/DOD - I know my 2008 doesn't.

Speck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I know that mine does not have that feature either. That's probably why I hadn't heard of it before.

Joe

Drewskiii

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We did a muffler delete on a 6.5l esky, 4.5" piping ,super nice crispy, stock when cruising and when you punch it you could hear a nice deeper tone.. Cabin is quiet even on long trips.. Just my .02cent..

Reaction score
Just deleted my resonator and installed a dual tip on my 07 Tahoe. No sound difference other than idle, which is about 5% more throttley, if that's a word. The tips are bigger than the SLP and in my opinion looks better. Will upload pics later.