Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Image817

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all just finished reading through a bunch of the magneride problem threads and glad to see I'm not the only one! I see all the pros and cons of deleting the system.

2020 Yukon Denali, stock everything, ~140k km

Right now I blew the air bag in my rear DS shock last summer, been riding on it as is ever since with the compressor relay removed. I don't tow anything heavy, just our boat or a 12' quad trailer so hasn't been a big deal. Fronts are toast now too though and I'm bouncing like a lunatic so I'm going over my options.

The OEMs are way out there... Looking at $650 each for the rear and $750 each for the front. I did find some out of Ontario, basically no name brand Chinese knock offs that are around $1100 for all 4 but come with a lifetime warranty for whatever that's worth.

Real question, I found a delete Bilstein kit out of a shop in Saskatchewan and wondering if anyone's gone down this route? I have Bilstein 5100s on my off road rig and they're unreal. If anyone's put them on I'd be real interested in the feedback. They're looking around $1700 CAD all in to my door.

Thx
Scott
I'm assuming you may have already made your choice and fixed your vehicle but I just went through this myself. I actually purchased the Bilstein 5100 delete kit from magdelete.com and had it installed. As soon as I left the shop I knew I made the right choice. I had the mechanic at the shop ask where I got the delete kit as it was slightly different than others he had installed but said that it was super easy for him. It did raise the front end about 1 - 1.5 inches so it made my 2017 Tahoe Premier level. The ride isn't Magneride but it is still definitely smooth. The difference is only slightly noticeable but i can live with it. The price was around $1400 for the shocks and pre loaded struts with the delete module. I did also pay the extra $40 for expedited shipping which did arrive within 3 days. I'm not a mechanic so I payed for the labor but it beats having to spend well over 4K for the Magneride system. From my point of view, I would personally recommend. They also had Fox shock options and a lower price option which I think is their own brand if I remember correctly. Hope this helps and good luck to everyone out there.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4k? Rock auto has the GM magnaride shocks for around $400 each with lifetime warranty...

OP
OP
S

scottystills

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
4k? Rock auto has the GM magnaride shocks for around $400 each with lifetime warranty...
Assuming you're in the states? CAD on Rockauto it's about $650 each on the rear and $750 for the unloaded strut on the front.

OP
OP
S

scottystills

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm assuming you may have already made your choice and fixed your vehicle but I just went through this myself. I actually purchased the Bilstein 5100 delete kit from magdelete.com and had it installed. As soon as I left the shop I knew I made the right choice. I had the mechanic at the shop ask where I got the delete kit as it was slightly different than others he had installed but said that it was super easy for him. It did raise the front end about 1 - 1.5 inches so it made my 2017 Tahoe Premier level. The ride isn't Magneride but it is still definitely smooth. The difference is only slightly noticeable but i can live with it. The price was around $1400 for the shocks and pre loaded struts with the delete module. I did also pay the extra $40 for expedited shipping which did arrive within 3 days. I'm not a mechanic so I payed for the labor but it beats having to spend well over 4K for the Magneride system. From my point of view, I would personally recommend. They also had Fox shock options and a lower price option which I think is their own brand if I remember correctly. Hope this helps and good luck to everyone out there.
This is exactly the feedback I was looking for thank you! I ended up ordering the 5100 kit with the 3"/1.5" lift and just installed them yesterday. You're totally right rides very smooth despite some of the reviews that it was a bit stiff. Install was super easy, took me about 4 hours in my shop working at a very casual pace. It was just about $1800 CAD for the whole kit. Will have to get it in for an alignment later in the week but that's no bigge and needs to be done anyway.

End of the day, great kit definitely a better choice than the OEM stuff. Now that the simulator computer's in there also, I can just go with Monroe's or whatever if I want something more cost effective down the road, or decide to return it to stock ride height.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you're in the states? CAD on Rockauto it's about $650 each on the rear and $750 for the unloaded strut on the front.
Ah yeah sorry, didnt go back all the way. Glad that conversion worked out for you - keep us informed on how the system holds up. Some days my magneride is buttery smooth, then others I think its going out at 77k. Nobody wants to pay what these fools charge for the OEM replacements - a little iron in the juice shouldnt be 3X the cost of a quality shock...

OP
OP
S

scottystills

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ah yeah sorry, didnt go back all the way. Glad that conversion worked out for you - keep us informed on how the system holds up. Some days my magneride is buttery smooth, then others I think its going out at 77k. Nobody wants to pay what these fools charge for the OEM replacements - a little iron in the juice shouldnt be 3X the cost of a quality shock...

Getting an alignment done on Thursday, curious if it's going to be an easy task or they're going to tell me they can't align it without offset ball joints or something similar. Time will tell.

Rockstar94

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Getting an alignment done on Thursday, curious if it's going to be an easy task or they're going to tell me they can't align it without offset ball joints or something similar. Time will tell.
Just wanted to see if the alignment went well, and do you still recommend this over the oem setup? I like a good ride as long as it doesn’t feel top heavy in curbs (body roll). I have a front Magride strut locked up and can’t make up my mind.

Thanks

OP
OP
S

scottystills

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wanted to see if the alignment went well, and do you still recommend this over the oem setup? I like a good ride as long as it doesn’t feel top heavy in curbs (body roll). I have a front Magride strut locked up and can’t make up my mind.

Thanks
Alignment went well. No offset ball joints or anything silly like that. Rides fantastic I'm loving it. The Bilstein kit is a little stiffer than the OEM setup, but the same site has options for a softer ride, just wasn't for me. I will say there is basically no body roll with the Bilstein kit. I had it out over the weekend on heavy washboard gravel, no problem. Wavey paved road, no problem. No regrets.

OP
OP
S

scottystills

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's the new stance, this is the 3/1.5 kit. There's probably a bit of sag from the trailer but not a ton.

Attachments

• 20240413_091019.jpg
    20240413_091019.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts