Replace entire AirRide System or Convert to Passive?? - 2003 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your rear ride height sensors? Those metal rods rust out. One on each side connected to frame and upper control arm.

Reaction score
I'm so glad there is a thread for this. I have been riding mine for a week now with service ride control. My compressor is shut and may have a leak from shocks somewhere. I was looking into craigslist to see if I can salvage parts from a parting-out add. Looks like I have a few options.

Maxgee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just bought my 2001 suburban used with 212,000 miles, everything is clean except my autoride is not working.
If I jump the ALC relay under the hood the compressor kicks on but the shocks do not air up which tells me they are leaking. I confirmed rear shocks or not holding air, do I need to replace all the shocks and the compressor or just the rear shocks?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to say. You shouldn't have to jump the relay to make the compressor come on though. It should just keep running if the shocks are leaking. Which would most likely have ruined the compressor though. You can try just replacing shocks and then try running the compressor by jumping the relay and see if they hold air. At which point you'd know the shocks and compressor both work and then you'd have to still troubleshoot why the compressor isn't coming on by itself. I suspect they're all shot and the system has been disabled.

pizzle

Reaction score

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CHEVROLET_yid11_pid92_gid988.html

anyone ever tried these? There are replacements for the original air shocks. No bypassing or anything. I currently have holes in my rear shocks and am debating on switching to non air shocks but these replacements seem cheap enough.

I also found these, anyone know if these will work on a 2006 tahoe LT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2014-for-Escalade-Rear-OEM-Quality-Electronic-Air-Ride-Shocks-PAIR-New/172193049533?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid=333008&algo=RIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=41375&meid=d1375cc58fa74966925ace626c19aa4e&pid=100010&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=ag&sd=252249981818
I wouldn't buy either of those. The Arnott ones you linked aren't actually rebuilt- they're only partially rebuilt. The actual shock portion is just tested and painted but they do add new air bladders. I've heard of trouble with those, but Arnott DOES sell new air shocks of their own. I've been running them for 2 years as well as their compressor and front shocks. They don't have electronic damping but I don't miss it. It has a resistor built-in so you can just plug the wire in so there's no messages in the DIC. As for the other EBay one you linked, I've never heard of that brand. They look like junk to me. Here's the rear Arnott Premium ones.
https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_GMC_yid15_pid96_gid976.html

pizzle

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy either of those. The Arnott ones you linked aren't actually rebuilt- they're only partially rebuilt. The actual shock portion is just tested and painted but they do add new air bladders. I've heard of trouble with those, but Arnott DOES sell new air shocks of their own. I've been running them for 2 years as well as their compressor and front shocks. They don't have electronic damping but I don't miss it. It has a resistor built-in so you can just plug the wire in so there's no messages in the DIC. As for the other EBay one you linked, I've never heard of that brand. They look like junk to me. Here's the rear Arnott Premium ones.
https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_GMC_yid15_pid96_gid976.html

so no issues with bypassing the system like that? To be honest i dont really like or need the air system Im just not sure what is need to switch over to regular shocks in the back.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't bypass the air system, only the electronic damping which is the system that changes the damping rate of the shocks. And no there should be no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyC