Replace entire AirRide System or Convert to Passive?? - 2003 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pizzle

Reaction score
It doesn't bypass the air system, only the electronic damping which is the system that changes the damping rate of the shocks. And no there should be no issues.

maybe im confused there. So the compressor still fills the shocks? what is the damping system?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe im confused there. So the compressor still fills the shocks? what is the damping system?

There is a typical hydraulic filled shock absorber(damper) with an airbag wrapped around it. The airbag can be thought of like a helper spring, it is not a damper.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so no issues with bypassing the system like that? To be honest i dont really like or need the air system Im just not sure what is need to switch over to regular shocks in the back.

Ohhh... you are asking about this?

This shock bypasses the vehicle’s often problematic auto-damping system and includes a sensor which plugs into the electronic controls to eliminate dash panel error messages.

The shock absorbers (dampers) have electronically variable valving. The premium arnott shocks are a standard shock and do not have electronically variable valving, however they do have air bags as you can clearly see. These shocks maintain the vehicles auto levelling ability with the bags. It is simply the variable valving that is commonly problematic that is eliminated in this particular case. Does that help?

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_GMC_yid15_pid96_gid976.html

Autoride systems also have the electronically variable valving in the front shocks as well, they do not have the air bag that is present in the rear however.

pizzle

Reaction score
Ohhh... you are asking about this?

I believe that the shock absorbers (dampers) have electronically variable valving. The premium arnott shocks are a standard shock and do not have electronically variable valving, however they do have air bags as you can clearly see. These shocks maintain the vehicles auto levelling ability with the bags. It is simply the variable valving that is commonly problematic that is eliminated in this particular case. Does that help?

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_GMC_yid15_pid96_gid976.html

yeah i think i got it. this operates the compressor without the damping system

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah i think i got it. this operates the compressor without the damping system
Correct. And like I said, you'll never realize they even HAD electronic variable damping after it's gone. Money would be better spent on quality sway bars and endlinks to help with what that was supposed to do.

pizzle

Reaction score
Correct. And like I said, you'll never realize they even HAD electronic variable damping after it's gone. Money would be better spent on quality sway bars and endlinks to help with what that was supposed to do.

I think I want to switch to regular shocks at this point

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I want to switch to regular shocks at this point
You can do that too. You'll need to replace the rear springs since and disable the "service ride control" message. Lots of info here on those.

pizzle

Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh