Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol, the kid came out in me, I couldn't resist Red!
LOL. On another note, after a long wait I just got word back from Blackbear that my misfires are not a problem, probably just less efficient combustion at idle due to the big injectors I installed. Which they also said they will take care of when they update my tune for the cam. And I had also emailed Whipple a few days ago because I couldn't find any other pulleys for my application- not a single one listed on their website. I even emailed Blackbear since they sold me the blower. Both of them originally got back to me with a question about what size I have now. Days went by after I answered that question- 3.750". All that I've read let me know that as I make improvements like a cam or headers, my boost will go down and I'll need a smaller pulley to maintain boost. Besides, I may want more than the 8 lbs I have now. Today Whipple let me know I can use the ones for the 2014+ GM DI trucks. That opens up a lot of possibilities- they go down to 2.750" and every .125 increases boost by 1 lb. That's 8 lbs more boost...and I did get big enough injectors to go quite a ways.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I was looking at some how-to's on www.ls1howto.com I realized that in order to install the new timing gear I bought, the oil pump needs to come off so...even though I have 40-70 lbs of pressure, the thought had crossed my mind before. And now I see the thing needs to be removed anyway, I went ahead and ordered a Melling oil pump. WTF right. I mean, it does have 150,000 miles on it. Pretty cheap insurance.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
As I was looking at some how-to's on www.ls1howto.com I realized that in order to install the new timing gear I bought, the oil pump needs to come off so...even though I have 40-70 lbs of pressure, the thought had crossed my mind before. And now I see the thing needs to be removed anyway, I went ahead and ordered a Melling oil pump. WTF right. I mean, it does have 150,000 miles on it. Pretty cheap insurance.
Isn't three some kind of issue with the stock O rings failing on the pumps sometimes? Causing low oil pressure?

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't three some kind of issue with the stock O rings failing on the pumps sometimes? Causing low oil pressure?
I believe that's the NNBS. They also seem to run with way lower oil pressure than ours, usually 20 lbs or less at idle.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I believe that's the NNBS. They also seem to run with way lower oil pressure than ours, usually 20 lbs or less at idle.
Ok, just wanted to mention that. I just checked what was installed in mine and they put in a "GM Performance Parts oil pump " and a "Heavy Duty Single Chain". Can't go wrong with that. What are you going with?

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, just wanted to mention that. I just checked what was installed in mine and they put in a "GM Performance Parts oil pump " and a "Heavy Duty Single Chain". Can't go wrong with that. What are you going with?
I bought the Melling standard volume, their high volume wasn't recommended unless we're experiencing a loss of pressure which I'm definitely not. I read quite a bit on several forums and the Melling was recommended. The HV can draw too much oil from the pan if the pressures good I read, and possibly run the sump dry although I doubt it. Melling actually makes the OE pumps I also I believe.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I bought the Melling standard volume, their high volume wasn't recommended unless we're experiencing a loss of pressure which I'm definitely not. I read quite a bit on several forums and the Melling was recommended. The HV can draw too much oil from the pan if the pressures good I read, and possibly run the sump dry although I doubt it. Melling actually makes the OE pumps I also I believe.
By heavy duty, I was talking about the timing chain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz

Latest posts