Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the torque converter today so I have everything ready for the install tomorrow. When I decided to paint the trans crossmember I wanted to remove the mount and the bolts broke so I had to make a run to the auto parts store. The instructions for the converter say if I have more than .187 between the flexplate and the converter pads I need to use .060 flat washers between the converter and flexplate so off I went to Ace. I didn't realize how many damn washers (about 50) I'd have to measure with a dial caliper to find some that were close, 3 of them at .055. So no more excuses, this thing's going in tomorrow!IMG_7096.JPG IMG_7097.JPG IMG_7098.JPG IMG_7099.JPG

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the torque converter today so I have everything ready for the install tomorrow. When I decided to paint the trans crossmember I wanted to remove the mount and the bolts broke so I had to make a run to the auto parts store. The instructions for the converter say if I have more than .187 between the flexplate and the converter pads I need to use .060 flat washers between the converter and flexplate so off I went to Ace. I didn't realize how many damn washers (about 50) I'd have to measure with a dial caliper to find some that were close, 3 of them at .055. So no more excuses, this thing's going in tomorrow!View attachment 181766 View attachment 181767 View attachment 181768 View attachment 181769
Same measurements as mine. There's a chance you may not need any washers. Make sure u got feeler gauges to check the spacing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Got the torque converter today so I have everything ready for the install tomorrow. When I decided to paint the trans crossmember I wanted to remove the mount and the bolts broke so I had to make a run to the auto parts store. The instructions for the converter say if I have more than .187 between the flexplate and the converter pads I need to use .060 flat washers between the converter and flexplate so off I went to Ace. I didn't realize how many damn washers (about 50) I'd have to measure with a dial caliper to find some that were close, 3 of them at .055. So no more excuses, this thing's going in tomorrow!View attachment 181766 View attachment 181767 View attachment 181768 View attachment 181769
I don't envy you Red! You're gonna be one sore dude, especially doing it on the ground. Good luck!

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap this is kicking my ass. I got the trans mounted by 10:30 this morning but ran into trouble bolting up the torque converter; FTI's instructions say if the gap between the flexplate and the converter pads is over 3/16" I need to install .060" washers as spacers. I tried for 2-3 hours but couldn't get them in. The flexplate is in the way; you're working through the starter hole and the hole in the flexplate is way back from the edge so I was trying to use grease to stick the washer to my finger and then hold it against the back side of the flexplate and slide it in and stick a bolt through because I can't hold it and put it back there. Every time I (thought I ) had one in and the bolt started, I had to slide out and go turn the crank over until I thought the next bole was close to the hole down there, then go down and use a screwdriver to line the next bolt hole up where I could get to it and the washer, and every time I thought I had one in, it would fall out when turning the crank. I did each bolt at least 4-5 times. I couldn't even see if they were in by using an inspection mirror. It's real hard just to get a bolt in, much less reach around behind and slide a washer between the flexplate and converter. My gap is maybe .030 over the .187 (3/16") they spec. I'm going to leave it. So then I started installing the transfer case but the trans was hanging too low so I tried leaving it jacked up and hanging with one end on the rear crossmember while I installed the front (trans) crossmember. I was using a second floor jack on the trans and needed to lower it a bit to line things up but lowered the wrong jack and the t case came down because I was watching the trans and it wasn't coming down! But then I figured I needed to install the exhaust first anyway so I started on that and it was fighting me so I just stopped for the day. I'm beat. This is hard with one person. I'll get it tomorrow though. I made a lot of progress today.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Holy crap this is kicking my ass. I got the trans mounted by 10:30 this morning but ran into trouble bolting up the torque converter; FTI's instructions say if the gap between the flexplate and the converter pads is over 3/16" I need to install .060" washers as spacers. I tried for 2-3 hours but couldn't get them in. The flexplate is in the way; you're working through the starter hole and the hole in the flexplate is way back from the edge so I was trying to use grease to stick the washer to my finger and then hold it against the back side of the flexplate and slide it in and stick a bolt through because I can't hold it and put it back there. Every time I (thought I ) had one in and the bolt started, I had to slide out and go turn the crank over until I thought the next bole was close to the hole down there, then go down and use a screwdriver to line the next bolt hole up where I could get to it and the washer, and every time I thought I had one in, it would fall out when turning the crank. I did each bolt at least 4-5 times. I couldn't even see if they were in by using an inspection mirror. It's real hard just to get a bolt in, much less reach around behind and slide a washer between the flexplate and converter. My gap is maybe .030 over the .187 (3/16") they spec. I'm going to leave it. So then I started installing the transfer case but the trans was hanging too low so I tried leaving it jacked up and hanging with one end on the rear crossmember while I installed the front (trans) crossmember. I was using a second floor jack on the trans and needed to lower it a bit to line things up but lowered the wrong jack and the t case came down because I was watching the trans and it wasn't coming down! But then I figured I needed to install the exhaust first anyway so I started on that and it was fighting me so I just stopped for the day. I'm beat. This is hard with one person. I'll get it tomorrow though. I made a lot of progress today.
I really do feel your pain Red! You don't have a buddy who can help you out? Just curious, what would a shop charge just for the install? Sometimes it's just not worth the aggravation of trying to do it yourself.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

Wow. My only question, you did or did not ever get the washers in?
You are a beast, Red. Keep at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645