Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realized this morning that I didn't have tracking on my torque converter so I called Performabuilt and got it. Looks like it won't be here until Thursday so install is delayed. I was going to take Wednesday off to install it but I guess I'll take Friday off instead. Stupid FTI. The trans was built faster than the converter.
Take the rest of the week off red....you deserve with all the damn work you been doing.... you need to rest up so you can bench press that tranny back up in there....;)

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I was trying to remember how much HP my NVG149 t case would handle because now I'm looking for weak points and it seemed I read it would handle plenty so after some research on pt trucks.net I found good news- 800 HP. It seems the only failures have been from running with no front driveshaft or other abuse but not from power. Yay, one less thing to worry about.
Edit: I also researched the pump rub issue where the pump moves inside the case and wears a tiny hole in it and the fluid slowly leaks out unknowingly until failure happens and the 149 isn't affected. Another plus. I didn't want to have to tear it apart and install the pump upgrade.

View attachment 181553
It gets abuse when the prop shaft isn't connected? I wouldn't have thought so since it's not getting any drag or working from all the movement if the prop shaft was connected.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It gets abuse when the prop shaft isn't connected? I wouldn't have thought so since it's not getting any drag or working from all the movement if the prop shaft was connected.

Keeps things moving and lubed up tho tony..its like leaving your GN to sit for a few years then trying to start it... batt dead, gas bad, headliner falling down, tires going flat, pwr windows not working, pwr locks frozen, mice all over, people breaking into it and stealing your shift knob and wheel.. you know what...just give it me... ill take care of for you

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope; there's a few no-no's when it comes to the AWD transfer cases like don't run it in gear on a lift, don't drive very far on a different size tire and don't disconnect a driveshaft and drive it. It has a viscous coupling that gets damaged if any of those things happen.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And since today was a n eclipse holiday here and I got the day off, plus my Torx Plus TP50 socket showed up, I pulled the old bell housing and cleaned that nasty thing up and painted it with VHT Wrinkle Plus. Came out nice. IMG_7064.JPG IMG_7065.JPG

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_7067.JPG IMG_7071.JPG IMG_7073.JPG IMG_7076.JPG IMG_7077.JPG Today UPS delivered some goodies- trans and flexplate. Converter will be here Thursday. After unpacking, I realized the transfer case adapter needed to be swapped also so I cleaned it up and wrinkle painted it. I'm trying to decide if I want to tackle the transfer case itself as far as painting. Although it's pretty big and looks like a ***** to prep, now that I have a couple extra days I might do it. It looks out of place next to the trans now.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
View attachment 181661 View attachment 181662 View attachment 181663 View attachment 181664 View attachment 181665 Today UPS delivered some goodies- trans and flexplate. Converter will be here Thursday. After unpacking, I realized the transfer case adapter needed to be swapped also so I cleaned it up and wrinkle painted it. I'm trying to decide if I want to tackle the transfer case itself as far as painting. Although it's pretty big and looks like a ***** to prep, now that I have a couple extra days I might do it. It looks out of place next to the trans now.
If you're up to it, might as well, but only you'll know you did it, unless it's up on a lift. I love shiney new expensive parts!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE