Q: Stock alernator information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Popeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
98 Tahoe OBS, Stock
I want to wire a dual battery setup so that i can use other items while not running the engine and still be able to start the truck, i.e. camping scenario. In order to purchase a isolator i am trying to figure out the stock alternator amp output, so that i can get something bigger than that. (i will change the alternator in the future, not now).

Reference

Also what kind of a isolator should i get? Is the PrincessAuto isolator good enough? Have heard mixed reviews and would like to know if someone here has first hand expereince?
thx

faze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alt on my dual battery '95 2500 diesel was a 100amp. I think you can get a 140. Look at rockauto.com under a 2500/3500 series truck.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Don't have any insight into your isolator questions, but the stock alt on the OBS 1/2 tons is typically a 105a - there's also a 140a option.

When the time comes to upgrade/replace your alt, I'd personally suggest going with a ** model that way you've got more power available at lower rpms (I've got a large case 220a from Iraggi and have had zero problems).

hoondueces

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in doing a write up on howto install a two battery setup? I also have a 98 tahoe that I am trying to do this with

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Click on 'Reference' in my 1st post in this thread. there is a write up there on how to do a dual install. I just finished mine referencing that post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaptainkhaos58