4L60E Information Thread (Includes 4L65E/4L70E)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good, man. If you see DTC P0716 or 717 then you'll know its that turbine speed sensor (or the harness wiring/connector), assuming your trans has one.
Oh my 2005 Tahoe with a 4l65e, what could be causing the same issue on cold starts??? I have a similar code indicating tcc lock up solenoid. I ran the codes a few weeks back and can't find the paperwork

OP
OP
NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bumping this one up....Ive been seeing a lot of threads on 4L60E transmission replacement lately and know not everyone can afford to drop $1500-$3000 on a complete rebuild on short notice so are looking to the used transmission market as a stop gap solution.

To that end, I decided to do a video on the things I look for when buying a 4L60E or 700R4 core to rebuild and threw in a bunch of tips for folks looking for one to bolt in "as-is" to get the vehicle back on the road quickly while they save for a proper overhaul or replacement.

Feel free to ask questions or add some tips of your own; if I get enough input ill do a part 2 or 3 (I'm already planning a 4L60E interchange video as well so look for that in the next couple weeks or so).

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, can you briefly describe it? Looked at prev replies but didnt see anything...
On cold starts it a acts Luke it barely wants to move forward. Once it warms up after 4-5 minutes it will inch forward and hard 1-2 shifts or that slam as described on first page.

OP
OP
NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On cold starts it a acts Luke it barely wants to move forward. Once it warms up after 4-5 minutes it will inch forward and hard 1-2 shifts or that slam as described on first page.
Once it gets moving, how does it behave? Normal 2-3 and 3-4 shifts? Is it more responsive (more power) at higher speeds than at take off?

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once it gets moving, how does it behave? Normal 2-3 and 3-4 shifts? Is it more responsive (more power) at higher speeds than at take off?
Once it gets moving it shifts fine. If I floor it it upshifts fine. The downshift to a stop can be felt as it goes from 2-1. The truck has nearly 350k miles and I believe it's the original transmission.

OP
OP
NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once it gets moving it shifts fine. If I floor it it upshifts fine. The downshift to a stop can be felt as it goes from 2-1. The truck has nearly 350k miles and I believe it's the original transmission.
Gotcha...its due for a complete overhaul and if you have 350k on the trans in origional conditon, that is outstanding. Im thinking weak torque converter (stator rolled over inside of it) plus either worn tcc regulator valve or broken outer 1-2 accumulator spring producing your harsh 1-2 upshift. All that gets fixed/resolved on overhaul along with everything else...

sparkie124

Reaction score
I'm about to tackle a few upgrades on a 4l70e that I just picked up for my 79 C30 dually. It will never tow heavy, maybe 10/11k at most. Engine is a 6.0ls with a baby cam. Trans has already been overhauled to factory specs so I want to upgrade the servos and valve body stuff. Struggling a bit with the parts list and know what I can pull off on my own. The play list is an awesome find, thanks for that....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo