GM 6L80 Transmission Information Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh God I just got a 1-2 flare or surge on my tahoe. Or 2-3 not sure i was too pissed.

OP
OP
NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh God I just got a 1-2 flare or surge on my tahoe. Or 2-3 not sure i was too pissed.
It's more than likely a 2-3 flare if you're flaring in that part of the drive cycle though a 1-2 flare could happen as well. A 1-2 flare happens when the 2-6 clutch fails to come on timely when TEHCM commands a 1-2 upshift. Mechanical problems with the 2-6 clutch are relatively rare. Most often, a 1-2 flare is either TEHCM or valve body. 2-3 flares are usually base welds at the 3-5-R drum leaking, causing 3-5-R clutch pack slip & burn-up.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's more than likely a 2-3 flare if you're flaring in that part of the drive cycle though a 1-2 flare could happen as well. A 1-2 flare happens when the 2-6 clutch fails to come on timely when TEHCM commands a 1-2 upshift. Mechanical problems with the 2-6 clutch are relatively rare. Most often, a 1-2 flare is either TEHCM or valve body. 2-3 flares are usually base welds at the 3-5-R drum leaking, causing 3-5-R clutch pack slip & burn-up.
thank God for warranties. How much time I got doc? only does it sometimes under load when cold.

OP
OP
NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thank God for warranties. How much time I got doc? only does it sometimes under load when cold.
That's impossible to predict as it can let go at any time, to be honest. I'd recommend trying to diagnose it asap so you'd know for sure if you do have to yank it and it doesnt strand you some place. Warranty will take care of the rest...fluid-wise you should have Dex 6 full synthetic in there (the 8-speeds take a different type of fluid).

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's impossible to predict as it can let go at any time, to be honest. I'd recommend trying to diagnose it asap so you'd know for sure if you do have to yank it and it doesnt strand you some place. Warranty will take care of the rest...fluid-wise you should have Dex 6 full synthetic in there (the 8-speeds take a different type of fluid).
Ok I'll have the dealer do a flush the transmission filter was done about about 2k miles ago so only 5-7 quarts came out.

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To convert an awd trans to rwd, is it as simple as using the Camaro tail housing extension and having a driveshaft made? I live in south florida so there’s absolutely no need for awd but if it’s a huge hassle then I’ll just remove all the awd stuff and buy a 2wd trans. Just trying to avoid pulling the trans

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To convert an awd trans to rwd, is it as simple as using the Camaro tail housing extension and having a driveshaft made? I live in south florida so there’s absolutely no need for awd but if it’s a huge hassle then I’ll just remove all the awd stuff and buy a 2wd trans. Just trying to avoid pulling the trans
I would like to know this as well. Also what changes need to be made to stop codes from being thrown from missing components, actuators etc. If the AWD even has such things. Do the AWD have any selection options for different traction modes like full 4wd lock, or a low range?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts